Losing Weight...

ChickenMommy

Mother of 2
Reaction score
So Ive been overweight for all 3 pregnancies. With the first 2, I indulged a bit more than I probably should have, but still gained a small-ish amount of weight. 19lbs with the first, and 22lbs with the second. The weight all fell off by 2 weeks post partum.

This baby Im seeming to have the opposite "problem". I guess its not really a problem since I have plenty of extra weight to shed, but Im losing weight every day and not even trying. Early in the second trimester I dropped almost 10lbs because I had the flu. I gained back a good 5 within the first few days of recovering. But Ive been losing steadily ever since. Every morning when I get up I weigh myself and Im consistently losing a pound every 2-3 days. Im now below my prepregnancy weight. And the hunger has been kicked into full force the last few days so i feel like Ive been eating a ton.

Baby is growing great so I guess I cant complain. I just wish it could be this easy when Im not pregnant and TRYING to lose the extra pounds. :shrug:

I wonder if it would be helpful for you to calorie count (very carefully) for about a week, and see the average amount you're consuming per day - it could actually be too little, who knows! Your body may need more. You burn a set amount not moving just 'existing' each day, then every little thing you DO do activity wise burns cals, PLUS you burn a few hundred extra per day being pregnant. So maybe you just need more! ...?? <3

Also - it really depends on the foods you eat, you can eat an absolute ton of salad or veggies (depending whether dressing/dip is used and the amount/type) and consume the same in cals with a single candy bar/nuts/whatever.

So it could also be the types of food you're eating. You could switch snacks to calorie dense snacks. ??

Thats the thing, I havent changed my eating habits really. If anything, before I got pregnant I wasnt consuming enough calories because Id frequently skip breakfast and sometimes even lunch.

Now? HAH! No. I wake up at like 6am STARVING, eat breakfast with my kids, usually have a small snack around 10, lunch, dinner, and then a small snack before bed. Im eating way more calories now than I was before I got pregnant.

Im not worried, I mean, baby is growing perfectly. Hes right on track in the 45th percentile. So its kind of nice, assuming he continues to grow appropriately (I do have GD, so we'll have follow ups to check his growth). Just odd that its coming off so dang easily now. Meh. Maybe itll be a good kickstart for when hes born and i can get a ton more off

I feel like I read somewhere that weight loss can be a side effect of gd? Either way I agree with you, I wish it was easier to lose weight not pregnant lol

Second PP's comment about GD diet making it hard to gain weight. As long as your baby is growing and you aren't suffering any ill effects, hang in there.

Second PP's comment about GD diet making it hard to gain weight. As long as your baby is growing and you aren't suffering any ill effects, hang in there.

Im not even on a GD diet though. I asked to be put on Metformin when I found out I was pregnant in the hopes it would help me nurse this baby (I do have PCOS, so naturally Im insulin resistant) and while Im not full blown GD, I was showing enough IR for my midwife to put me on the met and see if it helps. :shrug: I'll take it where I can get it I suppose

Ah, metformin can be an appetite suppressant.

ETA: a little googling came up with a lot of anecdotes from PCOS women who take metformin during pregnancy losing weight first and second trimester without a negative impact on the baby. The body will shunt nutrients to the baby first.

Ah, metformin can be an appetite suppressant.

ETA: a little googling came up with a lot of anecdotes from PCOS women who take metformin during pregnancy losing weight first and second trimester without a negative impact on the baby. The body will shunt nutrients to the baby first.

haha thanks for doing my homework for me. I never thought to google. usually when I do I end up finding out I have testicular cancer or something crazy like that :haha: **not that cancer is funny, just that google is ridiculous sometimes.

I'm losing weight too, I'm currently 8lbs under my pre pregnancy weight. Happened with my first pregnancy too. Unless your under Weight I wouldn't worry. You body is working harder and due to baby I can't eat big meals or drink alcohol so it's just falling off

I have lost weight too, at 22+ weeks I am about 3lb down from pre preg weight, but I have suffered from hyperemesis so I've factored that in. Anomaly scan showed baby was right size for gestation so trying not to worry too much and hoping I don't suddenly balloon towards the end. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->