Lotus birth....what do you all think?

OliviaRae

Reaction score
Ok I don't know if I'm the last to find this information, but I've just discovered something called Lotus Birth.... which is the practice of leaving the umbilical cord attached to both the baby and the placenta following birth, without clamping or severing, and allowing the cord the time to detach from the baby naturally. Hmmmmm...... In this way the baby, cord and placenta are treated as a single unit until detachment occurs, generally two to three days after birth.

Seems kind of natural, but would you want to lug around the nasty red placenta for 3 days?? :haha: Every one might be scared to hold baby! lol

What do you ladies think??? Love to hear some opinions on this.....

Seems kind of natural, but would you want to lug around the nasty red placenta for 3 days?? :haha:

It's not bright red and bloody for all that time. The placenta dries very quickly and becomes brown/red by the 2nd day.

Every one might be scared to hold baby! lol

To me, as a committed babymooner, that would be a plus. Only a few very close family members who were sensitive to the way we birth were invited into my birthspace early on. Even my Mum wasn't invited until after bub was Lotus Born as she was very unsupportive about the homebirth and negative about the Lotus Birth.

My daughter's transition took 4 days and 2 hours. My hubby and my older children got to have a cuddle with the baby whenever I showered or used the toilet but the restk of the day she was in my arms and we coslept at night. We intentionally didn't want her passed around much. She remained naked and I remained topless. All of that facilitated bonding and establishing breastfeeding.

My friend just had a lotus birth last weekend. One of the bonuses is that by having the baby and placenta/cord as one, it makes you stay in bed with your baby and rest! The placenta is wrapped up and covered in salt and lavender so it's not really a 'nasty red' object. You can't see it and it's bloody amazing if you ask me! I was blessed to me the baby briefly in the lotus phase as I gave postnatal doula support to my friend. Nothing a all icky about it.

Another member here has had 2 lotus births and here's her first journey.

https://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/lotus_birth.html

personally its not for me but im not disgusted or anything by it. quite the opposite, i see the benifits etc and would totally support anyone wanting to do it. just for me id prefer to send it on its way with the mw lol. i did the delayed cord clamping and natural 3rd stage with my youngest. x

Thanks for all the info, ladies. It sounds so interesting, I may bring it up to DH.....wish me luck. Ha!

I have friends who had lotus births. They loved the experience and I would hold a baby still attached to the placenta, I don't see it as a horrible nasty thing. My mom who was at both my son's birth, held my ds2 not only while he was still attatched to the placenta, but while the placenta was still inside my womb. We had a homebirth with him and my DH was behind me and we needed someone to hold ds2 while I moved a little into a better position, so my mom held him and the placenta was not out yet.

I think your persepctive changes a lot when you have experienced a Lotus Birth. I used to see cutting and a cord stupm as normal on a newborn baby. Now, to me, when I see a brand new baby without it's cord and placenta intact they look as if something vital is missing and noone in this family can bear to watch any videos of baby's cords being cut without flinching.

There is a Lotus Birht Support thread here:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/865993-lotus-birth-support-thread.html

There are no medical benefits, bloodflow stops very quickly once the cord is exposed to air but if you believe in the spiritual side of things (baby and placenta are "one" lifeforce) then I think as long as it's done properly with the placenta and cord sanitized it's okay :) It does decay though, like any other organ which no longer has a blood supply and function etc. nature will take it's course and it will begin to breakdown. 3 days is optimistic for natural seperation - a week to 10 days is more realistic.

Have you looked at delayed cord clamping? It has actual medical benefits. Basically the cord isn't cut when the baby is born - it is left pulsating. It can be cut once it stops pulsating (meaning the cord has clotted and blood flow is complete) or it can be left and cut after natural delivery of the third stage. I think it takes around 10mins for bloodflow to complete. There are a few medical studies which show less anaemia in delayed cord clamping. I believe it is also more natural - it is a similar behaviour to other mammals who cut/tear the cord after the placenta has delivered and bloodflow has stopped. It's normally during/after the first feed.

Stardust I can tell from personal experience of working with families having lotus births 3 days is pretty much average for the lotus stage to complete. Unless you've found it's been longer in cases you've known?

if you believe in the spiritual side of things (baby and placenta are "one" lifeforce) then I think as long as it's done properly with the placenta and cord sanitized it's okay :)

I have read about the spiritual side of Lotus Birth but most of the families I know didn't choose LB for this reason but because of how different both the babies and their familes behave throughout the Lotus birth.

I'm not sure what you mean above about the placenta and cord being sanitized. There is no need to treat the placenta any differently to the baby in this regard. Dr Sarah Buckley who has written about Lotus Birth has this to say about infection:

"We don't have any formal research in this area, so I am answering from physiological principles.

From a physiological perspective, I would expect less risks from infection with lotus birth, as there is no cutting of the cord so no conduit for infection to enter the baby's body. In many countries, a major risk for the newborn is from infections such as tetanus entering the baby through unsterile instruments used to cut the cord.

Some worry about infection from the drying placenta somehow getting inside the baby's body, but again, this does not make sense, as all the bacteria that coat the placenta have also coated the baby from birth, so he/she has already been exposed to these bacteria. These are the bacteria from the mother's own gut flora, which colonise the baby's skin and gut and optimise the immune system from birth.

If there are other bacteria such as group B strep (GBS) in the mother's vagina, these will affect the baby during the birth process rather than during the lotus birth period.

Lotus babies are also less likely to be passed around, and so less likely to be exposed to viruses and bacteria from outside the family, which may also reduce risk of infection.

Lastly, I would like to add that many people are a little cautious about lotus birth, which is understandable as it is new and uncommon. So when a lotus baby has for example, some redness or slight discharge around the cord base (which is generally healthy and normal and is part of the cord separation process). or an umbilical hernia, this may be blamed on lotus birth when it is not in fact related. "

When you witness a transitioning Lotus Baby you can see a marked difference in their behaviour...they are serene, they don't have closed fists, their arms and legs are loose, they are so relaxed, they often sleep with their arms above their heads, they don't fuss or cry hard and barely cry at all, they are alert and make intense eye contact when awake, they aren't sleepy. Think of a newbaby who has had an undrugged vaginal birth and how they are in that first hour after birth...transitioning Lotus Babies are like that but for an extended time.

I only had 2 visitors during our Lotus Birth but they both commented that entering our home felt like entering a Church. That was because we were all still in that same state that occurs immediately post birth. We kept our voices and the lights low. Nobody was passing the baby around. I was brought whatever I needed and only got up to shower and use the loo and aside from those times baby and I were constantly together skin-on-skin (baby remained naked and I remained topless for the whole transition). Baby wasn't passed around, not even to immediate family and our visitors didn't touch her. In this way she was only cultured with family friendly bacteria. Of course, you could do all of that without the LB but in our culture it is common for there to be visitors early post birth and lots of passing the baby around whereas with the LB this is less likely to happen.

It does decay though, like any other organ which no longer has a blood supply and function etc. nature will take it's course and it will begin to breakdown.

It does decay in that it becomes smaller and drier but it doesn't rot. If tended properly i.e. drained thoroughly, washed thoroughly, dried thoroughly and not covered with anything non breathable it dehydrates becoming preserved the way fruit might if dehydrated properly, or perhaps the process of making beef jerky is a more accurate comparison.

3 days is optimistic for natural seperation - a week to 10 days is more realistic.

I know many babies who have been Lotus Born and it is usually 3, 4, or 5 days when the cord detaches, however, one LB baby I know took a full 14 days to release her placenta.

"The average time for a Lotus Birth baby’s cord to come off naturally is three to ten days after the birth. Research has found that there is a direct relationship between the time the cord is cut after birth and the number of days it takes for the navel to heal. When the umbilical cord is cut immediately, the average length of time required for the navel to heal is 9.56 days. When cut after the cord stops pulsing it is an average of 7.16 days. When later, as happens in a Lotus Birth, the average time is 3.75 days. "

There are a few medical studies which show less anaemia in delayed cord clamping.

This is true and even waiting a short 5 minutes has a huge impact. A baby receiving a full transfusion of blood from the placenta receives 40% more blood containing prescious stem cells, plasma, red blood cells and hemoglobin than they would if the cord is clamped and cut early. This increased blood volume is still present in the baby who has experienced delayed cord clamping even after 48 hours and iron stores of these babies was still higher at 6 months of age. Basically, a baby who has had delayed cord clamping has all the iron needed to get them through to 6 months...at time when most babies begin solid food.

For preterm infants it seems that delayed cord clamping is even more important as they find it reduces the incidence of intraventricular haemorrhage (bleeding in the brain's ventricular system) and when it does occur it is less severe plus it greatly reduces the incidence of sepsis.

A baby who has had it's cord clamped/cut is placed in the traumatic position of having to breath very quickly or suffocate whereas the baby whose placenta is left alone post birth is receiving oxygen for a longer period of time making the transition to breathing less urgent. Sometimes, a baby not breathing is given as a reason to cut the cord early, so that they baby can be removed from the mother in order to rescusitate it but to my mind this is a reason not to clamp and cut but to keep the baby with the mother when rescusitating allowing the placenta to continue providing oxygen until the baby starts breathing.

There is no evidence that early cord clamping is safe nor that it has benefits and it is purely a cultural practice of convenience which I feel isn't a valid trade off based on what we have alredy discovered.

If you wait for the placenta to stop functioning fully there is no need to clamp before severing the cord. You can find more information about all of this at academicobgyn.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->