Love our girl name, what do you think?

DissySunshine

Reaction score
We won't know what we're having until mid June, but we've known the name if we have a girl for years now! It's Kella Marie, pronounced Kel-uh. I didn't think there were other pronunciations, but we've been met with some confusion so there it is.

I made the (didn't know it was a) mistake of telling my mother what name we had picked out, and she HATES it. Like, thinks we are dooming our child to a life of misery and name-calling because of it. She thinks people will call her "Killa" or something and that it will scar my child. Every chance she gets she tries to talk me out of it. It makes me sad, because it's her future (possible) granddaughter she is name-shaming!

So I thought I would come here to see what others opinions were? Or maybe how to deal with her hating?

I don't see anything wrong with the name Kella. It's a nice mix between Kelly and Ella which are both nice names.

As for your mom - She had her chance to name you and so now she shouldn't have any say in you naming your daughter. And like everyone says - when the baby arrives I bet your mom isn't going to think the same about her name ;)

Stick with your gut otherwise you will regret it.

It's a lovely name, I don't see any problem with it.
A few people looked at me weird when I said my boys name was going to be Edward.

I like it. I get weird looks when I tell people my name for a future daughter should I have one is Laken. Screw em. As far as I'm concerned about it you're the only ones who have to like it. I done see why your mother is so adament about it. Maybe next time she brings it up just say something like I'm done talking about this forever. I hated the name Cynthia my sister picked out for my niece, but now I can't imagine her having any other name but Cindy. It will grow on her, but ultimately it is not her decision either way.

I like it:flower:
My mum is the same, said I want to call my little boy Leo and she sneered! The bloody cheek! I just ignore her.

I like it:flower:
My mum is the same, said I want to call my little boy Leo and she sneered! The bloody cheek! I just ignore her.

My ds is Leo no one has ever sneered at his name always had great compliments .. :)

Op: kella is a lovely name xx

I like it!

Biggest mistake we made, early on in this pregnancy, was to tell DH's dad and stepmum of the names we were considering. Seeing his stepmum wrinkle her nose and condemn one of our choices was horrible. I know you can't turn back the time, but definitely don't share name choices with anyone else before the baby is born!

If I were you, I would refuse to engage in conversation with your mum on this anymore and I'd tell her so if she brings it up again. Tell her it's YOUR and your OH's decision to make, not hers and leave it at that. If she persists, ignore. Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind responses everyone! She went with one of the most popular names of my age (I'm an Ashley, Brittney, Courtney, Samantha type) and so I'm sure something that's a little off the wall to her seems unbearable. Hope she comes around ^^

The parents who truely love us always come around, those who don't are better off being on the back foot anyway.

Ha, I actually had the "killa" as in slang for killer association your mother had when I read it out loud too. But it was actually in a very positive way! I think Kella is a fine name but if anyone would have the association pop into their head it kind of makes her sound like a badass. I think kids are gonna do the opposite of tease her for it. SHe's gonna have the coolest name in school.

It's not my cup of tea but there's nothing wrong with it. Pretty much any name can be given a silly rhyme or teased in some way, but if the worst she gets is killa thenI think she got lucky!

I think generally speaking our parents prefer names that were popular/stylish when they were having babies. My mom always suggests old-school names. My name is def decade-specific and no one would ever give it to a baby nowadays.

For the most part she always hates the names i suggest. She talked me out of the name i planned to give my son!

I think Kella is cute! It will grow on your mom! Especially after she sees her grandbaby (if you have a girl). I have a friend named Mike who named the baby Mikella after himself. They call her Kella as a nickname!

I didn't think "killa" when I first heard it, but I it IS good that the whole hella-something trend is long over otherwise that would be really annoying :)

An idea to consider if you worry about Kella/killah association is the name Kellen. Like Kelly + Ellen. I knew a girl in highschool with that name and she went by Kella sometimes.

But otherwise go ahead with Kella and don't let it bother you.

I don't like it...so I wouldn't use it. Simple. The fact that she's your mum doesn't mean she should have a say in what you name your kid.
I'd tell her that you don't want to hear it again, that she's being rude and it's nothing to do with her.

My mom didn't like my boy name at first. She kept saying... Declan, what kind of name is that? Then purposely mispronounce it. She also kept giving me alternative name choices for a bit. She's since come around and says the name has grown on her...she had just never heard it before. I don't know if she is telling the truth, or if she just realizes if one of these babies is a boy, there is a 98% chance his name will be Declan, so she best be getting with the program. :haha: I'm sure your mom will come around too.

I like it. I get weird looks when I tell people my name for a future daughter should I have one is Laken. Screw em. As far as I'm concerned about it you're the only ones who have to like it. I done see why your mother is so adament about it. Maybe next time she brings it up just say something like I'm done talking about this forever. I hated the name Cynthia my sister picked out for my niece, but now I can't imagine her having any other name but Cindy. It will grow on her, but ultimately it is not her decision either way.

omg laken is one of my FAVORITE girl names :)

I've never heard of he name Kella before.. I like it :)

My grandma told me it was cruel to name our son Oliver! She never said a word after he was born. She loves it now! I like Kella!

It makes me think of Helen Keller, which could either be seen as a really good thing or just plain unfortunate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->