Low amniotic fluid

KatieMK

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with pregnancy and delivery with low amniotic fluid? Based on my 20 week anatomy scan, and two follow ups so far, it looks like I've got a low amount of fluid, and they plan on scanning me every two weeks to keep an eye on things for the rest of the pregnancy. So far, Baby's growth is on track (thank God), but I'm wondering what I can expect here on out. Anyone get a similar diagnosis midway through? How was baby's growth for the rest of the pregnancy? Did you deliver via cesarean? I'm anticipating that's what will happen. Did your baby go full term, or did they schedule you early? If early, how did that affect BF?

I'm more than a little irritated that the doctors clearly don't want to answer all my questions right now because they don't want to alarm me. :growlmad:

I had to deliver at 36+2 because of low fluid. Mine was not low until about 35 weeks. I was told to drink lots of water, but that did not help my situation. I had a c-section because the baby was breech, not because of the fluid levels. No issues BF for me, we are still going strong at 8.5 months. I hope this helps answer a few of your questions. Best of luck!

I was induced due to low-normal AFI, but I was overdue, anyway. Were you properly hydrated? That can make a difference.

My waters broke at 14 weeks. My afi was 1.2cm. It rose to 3cm for the rest of My pregnancy. I gave birth at 40+3.

My son grew normally and I had a normally spontaeneous vaginal birth (I was badgered to be induced from 36 weeks - he was only 6lbs 8.5oz at 40+3!)

I have had low fluid with a few of my babies- but from 32 weeks on. I was scanned weekly and they did a doppler scan too to check blood flow through the cord. They stressed to me I had to be extra cautious about bAbys movement. It dropped to 5, then 3, then 2. I was really scared but they kept saying that whilst baby seemed happy baby was better in than out. I think it eventually crept up to 4 and I went into labour naturally with no issues.

I was found to have severe oligohydramnios ( low fluid) at my 20 week ultrasound. I had almost no measurable fluid, and was not given a good prognosis. I was scanned weekly to keep an eye on things and told if my baby survived to 28 weeks I would be given steroid injections to help boost fetal lung development. I reached the 28 week mark and received the steroids. At an ultrasound at 29 weeks they decided she was not growing properly anymore and delivered her via C-section the next morning. My daughter ended up having ckd which was the cause of my severely low fluid levels. Low levels can effect lung delopment and growth if they are very low. If they are only a little low they will probably just moniter until delivery. Best of luck to you and your little one! BTW: My daughter will be 12 this month and still has ckd that will require a kidney transplant, but has surpassed all the doctors expectations!

I was detected low-normal amniotic fluid at 20 wk scan (afi 8.5) and when re-scanned at 28 wks, it was 7.9. My baby's growth was okay but i was given steroid injections just in case he needs to be born early. I kept having scans every 2 weeks. at our 32 wk scan he was measuring 2 weeks behind, but at 34 wk scan he measured okay. At every scan, there was some growth so they didnt want to take the baby out, but my fluid levels were always near low-normal.

I drank lot of water, took a protein rich diet , had sachets of L-ARGININE, but fuild levels stayed put betwn 8-9. At 36 weeks, baby was again measuring behind, and i had to undergo a non stress test every 3 days. at 39 weeks, i opted for a c-sec, as i was told vaginal delievery can be stressful for baby in case of low fluid.

My baby was born at 6lbs.. so not entirely small, but in low percentile. His height was 19 inches, also age appropriate.

Just keep yourself hydrated..drink tons of water n have lots of protein (egg whites, fish etc). Best of luck..

Thank you so much for your responses! It doesn't look like my fluid levels have a whole lot to do with hydration, which is too bad because it means that while I might be able to mildly increase what's in there, I can't really fix the problem. They say that baby's kidneys are measuring fine, and she's swallowing because her bladder is full in the scans, so all that is also reassuring. It looks like I'm in Demotivated's boat... scans every two weeks with fluid levels as of now that sound pretty much the same. I'm so so glad to hear that you didn't need to deliver your baby until 39 weeks! I've got fx that my levels stay at least as much as they are (9ish cm) so I can last just as long.

Thank you so much for your responses! It doesn't look like my fluid levels have a whole lot to do with hydration, which is too bad because it means that while I might be able to mildly increase what's in there, I can't really fix the problem. They say that baby's kidneys are measuring fine, and she's swallowing because her bladder is full in the scans, so all that is also reassuring. It looks like I'm in Demotivated's boat... scans every two weeks with fluid levels as of now that sound pretty much the same. I'm so so glad to hear that you didn't need to deliver your baby until 39 weeks! I've got fx that my levels stay at least as much as they are (9ish cm) so I can last just as long.
It always happened with me.. Baby:s bladder used to be full.. So they wre okay with 8-9 :)
As long as baby is growing n thriving inside, docs prefer to hang in.. I used to do a kick count everyday at a particular time aftr hvmg orange soda.. 10 kicks in 15 minutesw as average. That really helped me alleviate my fears.. It used to suck going for scans every fortnight, but I m glad we did and it took a lot of weight off our minds..

Eventually my file read like mother suspected iugr, baby born average for gestational age :)
Keeps ur fingers crossed n hve high protein diet. Amino acid in protein create amniotic fluid.. I did a lot of research on it :D

Hey

Sorry I know this thread is a few months old. But I just was wondering how things were turning out. I had my 20 week scan today and my levels were low at 8.5 average. The tech told me to increase my fluid intake and i'm getting rescanned next week but that baby is ok. The doctor however (not my usual doc) scared the heck out of me saying that baby could die and we will just be playing it by ear ... going to be a long 9 days until my recheck and I'm terrified.

Hi Swimmy!

I'm 36.5 weeks now, and fluid has been "normal" since shortly after this post. "Normal" being a consistent 12cm, which is precisely in the middle of the range they are looking for. Your numbers are not far off of that at all, so you should maybe punch your doctor in the face. Just kidding. Not really. Maybe a little kick with a pointy boot.

From my own research and discussions with my medical providers, babies start really contributing to amniotic fluid around the end of the second trimester/beginning of third trimester period. Maybe our babies are just a little behind the 8 ball! I'd say try not to worry too much (since your numbers are not dangerous) and see how the next month goes. They'll schedule you for extra ultrasounds to keep an eye on things.

In our hospital anything above AFI 4 is normal!

Thank you for responding :) they are having me come back next friday for a rescan. My usual doctor called me today and apologized many times for what that jerk said. She said I was no where near that level of danger and if I had been they would have sent me to the hospital. I probably won't feel better about it until my scan is better though. (will let you know how it goes lol). Hope you and your baby have a wonderful health delivery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->