Luke's arrival - Birth Story 11/05/11 <3 <3 Pics uploaded :)

rwllgoodchild

I love my son
Reaction score
Better late than never :haha:

Monday 9th May I was sent to the Antenatal Day Unit for my BP checking after being admitted on the Friday before, overnight, with raised BP. After being checked for 2 hours they decided that I shouldn't have been discharged and was sent straight back up to the antenatal ward.

Once I was on the ward, the doctor and a midwife came around and discussed induction (I was 40+6) I happily accepted being induced as I was fed up and in a lot of pain. So the midwife tols me she would come back a little later to do an internal and see what needed to be done for induction.

At around 6pm on the 9th the midwife returned and performed the induction, informing me that they will more than likely need to insert a pessary to induce me. Upon checking me she discovered I was already dilating. She managed to get 2 fingers into my cervix and informed me that I didn't need the pessary as they could easily break my waters. She performed a stretch and sweep which was a little uncomfortable, but in no way painful. The doctor then informed me that I had to wait for a bed on the delivery suite, but it was more than likely going to be later on the following day.

I went to the toilet and there was a lot of blood coming away, which I was informed was completely normal due to the sweep. Anyway it came to 10p.m. and OH had to go home, he was informed that if a bed did come available he would be called. I managed to get an hour or so sleep and woke up at around 11:30pm for the toilet. After having a wee I left the toilet and was talking to the midwife as she was informing me that they had closed the labour ward as it was so busy, when all of a sudden it felt like I had pee'd myself (this was midnight). I stopped dead, the midwife asked if I was OK then looked at me and said "Your waters have gone!?" She helped me back to my bed and checked my pad, which was soaked through. I changed pads and was told to get some sleep as tomorrow was going to be a long day/night. I settled in bed and fell asleep only to be woke up at 12:45am with awful pains in my lower stomach. The best way I can describe them is they were really REALLY bad period cramps that started at my pubic bone, worked their way up to my belly button then gradually faded away. They were painful and I started to notice that were coming and going at regular intervals so I started to time them, they were lasting between 45 seconds to a minute and were 3-4 minutes apart. I laid in bed for what felt like a life time trying to get to sleep, but the pain was getting really bad. At 2am I couldnt cope with the pain any longer and went to ask for some painkillers. I took Codiene and tried to sleep but again I was in so much pain so just laid in bed moaning and groaning at ever contraction. Eventually it became too much again and I buzzed for the midwife, I explained that I had had no sleep and was in so much pain so they told me to call OH (this was 6am on Tuesday 10th May) the midwife went to get me gas and air. I called OH and all I remember saying to him was "dont bother with a shower just get your arse here now!" the midwife was laughing at me :rofl: I started on the gas and air and it was fantastic, it didn't take the pain away but it certainly took the edge off the pains. I was checked and was almost at 4cm.

OH arrived at around 6:30am and I remember being lent on the side of the bed, guzzling on the gas and shouting at him to rub my back - this went on till around 11am where I couldnt cope with just gas and air so I had the dia morphiene injection. Within an hour or so I felt really heavy and started drifting off to sleep between contractions. I dont remember very much other than shouting at OH for anything and everything, at one point I had fallen asleep and woke up, mid contraction to see OH sat at the other side of the bed eating, I shouted "Why are you eating when I'm in pain... get round here and rub my back" :dohh: :rofl: Oh and I do remember emptying 2 cans of gas and air :roll: :haha:

It got to around 3pm and the midwife came to take me to the delivery suite :happydance:

When we got to the delivery suite I was examined again and informed that I was at 4cm STILL!!! the comtractions were lasting around 2 mins and were only about a minute and half apart. The informed me that I would have to be put on the drip to induce me. I knew the pains were going to get even worse so I opted for an epidural there and then.

After they did the epidural my BP dropped loads and I remember about 6 doctors in running around checking on me and baby. I was told that there was a chance I would have to be taken down to theatre for a section, which I really didn't want. I had to have a few tests done on Luke to check he wasnt in distress, so they had to go in and take some scratches from his head to check his oxygen levels. No I'll be honest - I dont remember very much from here...

My mum came (at some point) I remember having more of the tests on Luke's head and I remember muttering some rubbish to my mum and OH about my vagina hurting and that I needed to poo :blush: :haha: :dohh:

Then...

The midwife woke me up and informed me that I was almost ready to push and I suddenly came round, I remember every single second from here. I asked what time it was and it was 2am. The midwife said I was ok to start pushing. All the pain relief had worn off and I felt everything for the next hour!

I was pushing for an hour and I can remember the midwife stretching my perineum as he was starting to crown - I can honestly say it was NOT painful at all!! As Luke's head came visible the midwife told OH to have a look (I had told him he had to stay at my head, but at this point I couldn't care less, I even told my mum to have a look :rofl:) After another couple of pushes the MW told me I could feel his head if I wanted to, so I reached down and felt the most amazing thing I have ever felt, even though it felt warm and slimey. That second gave me the adrenaline rush I needed to get him out quickly. I pushed 2 or 3 times and his head came out, now I will be honest here - it bloody hurt while his head was out waiting for the next contraction to push his shoulders out, but I was only waiting a matter of second (even though it felt like an hour) 1 last push and Luke slid into the world at 3:09am. He was brought straight up onto my chest but he was covered in meconium so was wiped down, I was immediately in love and have never felt such a rush of pure love in my life.

I was given the injection to deliver the placenta (which I didnt feel at all) and after 2 pushes that came away intact.

Luke weighed 7lb 3oz, with a full head of dark hair and was perfect :cloud9:

I had a minor tear to my labia and had 3 stitches. No tearing to me perineum or any need for an episiotomy :wohoo: I lost minimal blood (100mls) but I did develop a fever while I was away with the fairies so we both had to stay in for a few days to have IV antibiotics.

After an hour of skin to skin Luke was taken and I was sent to shower. I was then sent to the ward at 6am where Luke was kept in the nursery so I could get a few hours sleep - I didnt sleep at all I just kept smiling to myself :D I was a mummy, the only thing I have ever wanted to be in my whole life :cloud9:

He is now 2 weeks old and is the most beautiful little boy I have ever seen. The love I feel for him was instant, and every time he looks into my eyes and holds his gaze I want to cry. He is my life and on 11th May 2011 at 03:09am I discovered the reason I was put on this planet... I was born to be Luke's mummy :cloud9::cloud9:

Thank you for reading my story xx

amazing and huge congrats our little boys were born on the same day this year xxxxxx

Congratulations on your new arrival, I really enjoyed reading your birth story!

great birth story congratualtions :) x

Congratulations on baby Luke :flower: xx

Thought I would upload a few pics of my gorgeous little boy :)

first is Luke with Daddy at 3 days old
second is Luke 2 days old
and third is mummy and Luke at 3 weeks :cloud9:

xx

Attachments

• 240639_10150238394679919_602219918_8637182_106230_o.jpg
    240639_10150238394679919_602219918_8637182_106230_o.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 243255_10150234764789919_602219918_8619758_3867541_o.jpg
    243255_10150234764789919_602219918_8619758_3867541_o.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 258474_10150255180874919_602219918_8806491_2653613_o.jpg
    258474_10150255180874919_602219918_8806491_2653613_o.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 14
congrats hun he is very cute

Beautiful! Your last comment bought a tear to my eye! Perfect and thank you for sharing your baby son with us --- he really is a gorgeous baby x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->