Lunch Ideas for Work?

wonders10

Mommy to an Adorable Girl
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm heading back to work next week after being off for 2 weeks. I work in a school, always pack my lunch but my usual lunches (sandwiches or frozen dinners) are out now. Any ideas for a pregnancy safe meal that will also fill me up, or something I can stomach if my "night" sickness hits during the day?

The dreaded listeria on lunch meat :shrug:

Warming it and then eating it sounds gross to me. Probably ok in moderation but I usually bring the same thing everyday.

I warm up the meat on a little plate, and by the time I put in on my sandwich is cooled again, or at least room temp, so it's not gross at all.

You could have cheese, or veggie sandwiches? Jam?
The rules on lunch meat are different in the UK, (basically if it comes out a packet it's fine). Could you take soup and heat that?

I think I'd just change my sandwich fillings. Cheese, salad and pickle, ham, chicken. How about some pasta salads?

Microwave wholegrain rice works for me. Goes great with a ton of different left overs, extra sauces, microwave sauces, steamed veg and leftover roasted meats or fish if you can stomach them. And it's easy to do small portions with the uncle bens single portion rices.

I am also going back Monday from being off for 2 weeks.. I love this post I had the same question! I usually eat school lunch (gross) or skip lunch which is no longer an option either

how do you feel about shrimp? My all time favorite lunches while pregnant is a quinoa and lemon shrimp salad with garlic, cucumbers, slivered almonds, and bell peppers P: just put it together the night before and pack it in a spill safe container. If you don't like shrimp, you could substitute for cooked chicken, or anything else listed could be substituted. It's a very versatile, but yummy, easy to make, and healthy lunch.

I've been taking sandwiches and just warming up the meat and then toasting the sandwich. Then it's not so gross!

Also i thought frozen dinners were fine as long as heated up thoroughly?

I'm sure frozen dinners are ok in moderation. I've eaten a couple, just don't want to eat them every day. I guess I'm trying to eat less processed food and follow the "rules" my dr told me. But I still splurge...last night I had McDonalds and the other day I drank a coke (heaven, btw).

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Grilled chicken sandwich topped with lots of lettuce, tomato, onion, banana peppers...yum and filling. Shredded chicken bbq is good too. I usually grill a few pieces and then put them in the fridge and heat up, so it's easy and quick. If you like turkey sandwiches, you could always cook a small breast in the crock pot (or however you do it) and then put in fridge and slice up for sandwiches. Vegi pitas are good too. Speghetti, lasagna, baked ziti...all good and filling if you eat pasta, plus you can cook them and freeze servings. (a good idea b/4 baby comes too so you'll have some ready meals in the freezer and won't have to cook) If you like soup, you could make that. (I like homemade soups and you can freeze those too) I must be hungry right now LOL

I swear though, I think I mostly lived off crackers in first tri as I was so sick, so that was my usual lunch at work. The above came lunches came later in 2nd tri when I felt better. And I too had the occasional McD's. My OB wasn't concerned about food rules; he told me to eat everything I usually ate, just the junk in moderation. LOL

Cook skinless boneless chicken breast and cut it up, cool it and it will be a lot like your normal sandwich! :)

I pre made a big batch of super yummy pumpkin soup for lunches this week, it was really yummy :)

I think I might make some kind of big slow cooked curried vege meal this weekend, and eat it with pita bread pockets for lunches :)

Sandwiches are still good :) lots of options that don't involve deli meat. Maybe google ideas?

I will stalk this thread for ideas xx

I've been packing a simple super food lunch if peanut butter sandwich, mixed nuts with walnuts, pecans, and almonds, carrots, and Apple slices... I'm thinking about doing a chicken tortilla soup since it's freezing outside and soup lasts all week.

cheese sandwiches, cheese salads, soup & bread xxx

I made some lentil & bean soup. I bought the goya mixed beans packet, soaked the beans (had lentils lying in the kitchen) overnight, threw half the pack into a pressure cooker with some spices and veggies i liked, and done in 15mins. Ate it through the day, it filled me up for hours. Plus its home made. That's my emergency go-to.

I've been eating salads! Fattoush salads with grilled chicken has been my go to and it is healthy!

Hi ladies,

I'm heading back to work next week after being off for 2 weeks. I work in a school, always pack my lunch but my usual lunches (sandwiches or frozen dinners) are out now. Any ideas for a pregnancy safe meal that will also fill me up, or something I can stomach if my "night" sickness hits during the day?

Hey! I work at a school, too! Monotony does not bother me so this is my daily (for now) feeding routine. Before I start listing, I wanted to add that in my previous pregnancy i had terrible morning sickness. It was like being hungover 24/7. I was MISERABLE. I get a little sick once I start running on empty, but I am so surprised by how little morning sickness I have. Knock on wood. It might be because I am eating so much healthier this time.

Breakfast
Nonfat Trader Joe's Yogurt with 1/3 cup walnuts
1 organic gala apple
25 fluid ounces of water
One a Day Women's prenatal multivitamin and DHA supplement

Snack at 10
A nature valley bar or a serving of fruit
Half of an all natural, organic peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread
25 more fluid ounces of water

Lunch
The other half of said sandwich
Another Nonfat yogurt with walnuts (I LOVE walnuts so I was thrilled to hear they are a pregnancy super food)
Another fruit serving
25 more fluids ounces of water

Dinner (which usually happens around 4:30)
Varies.
2 cups of milk

Meals I just shopped for (spent $50 at Trader Joe's)
1) Lean and natural ground beef, pasteurized (BE CAREFUL not all cheeses at TJs are pasteurized, read the ingredients) sharp cheddar, and whole grain buns for cheeseburgers.
2) Whole grain tortilla chips which I am going to use the rest of the cheese to make nachos
3) A bag of organic southern greens (kale, collard...something else), natural chicken breasts (could use turkey), and free range hormone free chicken broth
4) Hormone free and cageless chicken eggs to make omelets in my waffle maker! I just saw a video on this. So excited haha.
- It was 50 because I also bought pita bite crackers (do not get any with flaxseed!), some organic cherry tomatoes, a bag of organic apples, a bag of organic broccoli, a half gallon go organic fat free milk on top of the listed stuff, a bag of organic raw walnut halves, and 3 nonfat yogurts. The yogurt is soooo good. I thought I would just have one a day. I ate all three in 24 hours.

I imagine it'll be about $50 to feed myself on this healthy course. Which is fine because I spent about $60 a week on microwaveable meals from Fresh and Easy and then getting my Starbucks fix for school breakfast and lunch. And since I swore of caffeine and microwaves... works out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->