Made my decision.. elective c-section - how did you prepare

pinkgem100

Baby #2
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

i have made a decision to have an elective csection, will speak to consulatant at my 36 week app and decide for definate but to be honest it doesnt look like i will be going down the natural route (which i had hoped for):nope:

i was at the midwives on monday and with having Fetopelvic disproportion and ending up with having to have an emcs with DD who weighed 8lb 8oz it looks like the safest option is going to be another csection as this baby at 30 wks 4 days this baby was already measuring 4lb 8oz with an estimated 40wk weight of 9lb 4oz (fundal height measurement - but where spot on with DD and this bump is all baby!!)

so i just wondered how have you ladies prepared for your sections? and advice would be great!!

xx

I have just been given a date for my section so will be checking this thread to see the replies as my last birth was an emergancy section so Im not sure how it all works when planned although I was told that Id get an appointment about a week before when all the paperwork etc would be done so it saves time on the day and Id get to ask any questions that I have also x

I have just been given a date for my section so will be checking this thread to see the replies as my last birth was an emergancy section so Im not sure how it all works when planned although I was told that Id get an appointment about a week before when all the paperwork etc would be done so it saves time on the day and Id get to ask any questions that I have also x

thats what im wondering?? also what happens on the day of the section?? hopefully someone may be able to give us all an insight in to it??

I showed up when I was told to, about 3 or 4hrs before the estimated surgery time. I spent a half hour filling out paperwork. A half hour talking to nurses and putting on a gown. A half hour talking to random doctors who came in and out telling me what to expect - OB, anesthesiologist. An hour or so waiting. A half hour getting me all numbed up and then surgery time! Surgery was probably 45 min from start through clean-up, but I can't say that I was in a great position to keep good track of time.

One thing I would suggest prior to going in for your C-section, and actually prior to having birth at all. (Though, C-section is nice because you have an exact date). Is to CLEAN HOUSE! I know you're, huge and tired and you've got a lot on your mind. But coming home post-surgery with a new baby to a clean house is a life saver. You will be less inclined to clean days after surgery than you were when you were huge. And you may be expecting visitors.

And if you're able, prepare a bunch of meals a head of time and freeze them. Ziploc freezer bags are great for this. Just write on the bag the date you put it together, what's in it, and final cooking directions.

Oh, another thing. SHAVE! And not just your legs. You don't have to be bald "down there" but trim it. And in particular shave it so it's pretty low. Because if you don't.... they will do it for you prior to surgery. And it's no fun having a nurse shave you. It's quite akward.

My first c-section was emergency so I couldn't prepare. And as I was huge and felt unsexy and couldn't see my "business" I hadn't kept up with any maintenance. So it was a bit humiliating when they busted out the shaving cream and razor on me.

The next C-section was scheduled and I made sure I handled my own "business". Hell, ask your hubby to help if necessary. It's better than having the nurses do it.

Check your hospital's policy on shaving prior to c-section. A lot of hospital's do not want you to shave for a week or two before surgery to prevent microscopic nicks in the skin that can cause infection. Not pleasant to not be able to shave but honestly, the nurses and doctors have seen it all before. At most, trim with a pair of scissors or make sure you confirm that shaving is ok before you do so.

Check your hospital's policy on shaving prior to c-section. A lot of hospital's do not want you to shave for a week or two before surgery to prevent microscopic nicks in the skin that can cause infection. Not pleasant to not be able to shave but honestly, the nurses and doctors have seen it all before. At most, trim with a pair of scissors or make sure you confirm that shaving is ok before you do so.

I was never told this policy. But it sounds quite feasible. Sounds like a good question to ask doc on one of those later visits. Thanks for the insight.

I agree. Don't shave beforehand. You could go and get a wax though, if you wanted.

Black underwear and pads. I just bought overnight Always ones with wings. Bring snacks because you'll be hungry afterwards. You have to fast for 8 hours beforehand and sometimes it goes longer if someone needs a c-section before you so by the time you're done, you're starving.

Thanks ladies, i will be making some notes to ask at my next appiontment but thinking this is defo going to be the route i am taking as its not looking likely that they will suggest a Vaginal Birth will be the best option for me and baby!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->