Making a lego table ...

leoniebabey

mam of 2 boys
Reaction score
I feel like i mentioned or posted this somewhere in the past but i dont remember where so here goes again ...
Im thinking of making the kids a lego table for xmas but im in two minds sooo...
Would you use ...
2 small square ikea tables you know the ones, and make them one each or use one of the ikea storage units (the ones with the plastic boxes you can slide in) so they would have storage under and bigged surface to build.

Then second question
Glue the lego base plate on? Try and fashion a velcro system so that they could use the table for other activities? would that even work?

Anyone made one and can give me tips?

We have the trofast storage unit and DD mostly builds lego on it but none of her base plates are glued on as she likes to move them round they just sit on top. It works really well and there is lots of space to play on and the storage underneath is a huge bonus. Personally i wouldn't glue the base plates on as the unit is great for crafts, colouring etc and i think you'd restrict its usage a bit by doing that.

Another idea, we made ds ( 6) and dd (3) individual lego trays. It cost next to nothing and it slides under the sofa, as the end of the day. They can put them ontop of a table to play, or use on the floor. They have used them everyday since i finished them. I used a bit of mdf for the base, part of an old bedrame for the sides, wilko base plates, and gave them two compartments to the side to store the lego pieces. I let them paint them, and them finished with some wax and made a handle using rope.

Eta: we stuck the base plates on with gorilla glue, and sat some paint cans on the top while it dried.

Thats what i was thinking as i didnt want it to be limited as i know they would probs use it for other activities. May just get one and put the plates on top and can always stick it on if they want to. Is that awful though to get the kids a storage unit for christmas ����

I'd probably go for a Kallax unit (4 cube or 4 rectangle on legs), as drawers can be opened both sides if they wish to sit either side of it (like a normal table). Unless you have plenty of room and can use an 8 cube.

We have a table and the LEGO just lives in a plastic box on top (we got the table for £3 on a Facebook selling page so didn't even think of a storage unit instead to be honest) I stuck my Lego down using strong sticky pads and its lasted a good few months without coming loose. But if the children wanted to change the base plates I'm hoping they would come loose eventually

Ps. Which size trofast do you have?

We have this one Leoniebaby:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...-frame-light-white-stained-pine-art-20308697/ i got 2 large drawers and 4 small but in hindsight wish id got all the small ones as its much easier to sort and see the lego that way.

I don't think its a silly present idea at all. You could set it out with some baseplates on the top and maybe put some presents sticking out of the drawers x

Thankyou that looks a decent size!
They will be gettimg a couple lego sets each for xmas so will put them with it so its not just random.

I dont know how i will organize the storage boxes mind im a bit ocd with lego atm we have it in a kallax all aranged by sit in tuppaware boxes. We do also just have a big box of random bricks/figures

We made Lego tables for our kids last year for Christmas. We bought 2 end tables off kijiji for fairly cheap and glued the boards on. We've also converted the train table to a Lego table because we now have SO much Lego. But I haven't glued any boards or anything on it.

This is the Lego table we made during the year for kids when we decorated the play room.

We used a trofast unit that we painted and put on wheels so that it can be moved out of the way easily.

We glued our boards down as we found that they kept slipping off especially when the youngest was playing. There was a few tears for smashed models that hit the floor.

We weren't worried though about needing to use the surface for other things as we have a kids table and chairs in the kitchen that's used for creative play.

Excuse the mess of toys. I can't be bothered to sort it out

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
Oh that looks great �� definately going to try and make one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members