Making herself sick for my attention?

S

Serene123

I hardly ever put Caitlyn down (I know it's my own fault for carrying her in my carrier when she was little,) but on the odd occasion when I need to put her down, to polish, or do the washing, or hoovering, you know the usual, she will stick her fingers down her throat and make herself sick! Every time.. Without fail.. I don't know what to do!! I have tried putting her in her swing and on her mat to occupy her but she won't have it unless I'm with her.

Help!!!

Hun, Josh does the same. It's not to get attention it's just that they're discovering their bodies and when you put her down she can do this because you aren't watching to take her hands out of her mouth or she isn't distracted by you.

I know it's not fun, but I'm sure she's fine! Sometimes when I put Josh in his bumbo and make some dinner I'll have a look at him and he'll be full of vomit but laughing and smiling away ! :dohh:

:hugs:

awww someone loves her mum :)
Angelynn does this too quite frequently. Although she just gags with no puke. But she's constantly got her fingers in her mouth..
Maybe she's just discovering her hands and fingers now?? I don't really have any suggestions though sorry.. hope you find a solution :hugs:

Does she use a pacifier? That might do the trick.

Toria,

Babies this age have little to not control over their extremities. And they are just in the initial stages of understanding "cause and effect". I'm not sure it's likely that she's attempting to make herself sick for your attention.

What might be more likely is that when you put her down, she doesn't know how to self soothe. Her hands are near, and they can be sucked on. Babies suck to self soothe. Fingers don't feel like a soft booby, and you are no where near her, and she gets sad and scared.

Just like we have to teach our kids to walk and talk, we have to teach them to self soothe. I wouldn't put baby in front of a book, and expect her to learn to read on her own, and I don't expect my babies to learn to self soothe on their own.

When I put baby down, I make sure for the first few minutes, there is something there to get their attention. Then I make sure I'm always talking and pop into her field of vision often. Babies don't understand that when you go away, you come back. If they can't see your face, they think you are gone. This is why peek-a-boo is so fun to play with them. They don't know you are still there when you hide your face! And they are so excited when you come back :)

Anyway take it slow, I know it's frustrating when we have things to do - but maybe you can wear her in a sling or carrier when you do these chores. I have fun things in different rooms that I can put baby in when I do chores. Or better yet, I let someone else who loves her play with her for me ;)

Before you know it, she'll be toddling around and heading off to school. These days go by so fast!

If they can't see your face, they think you are gone. This is why peek-a-boo is so fun to play with them. They don't know you are still there when you hide your face! And they are so excited when you come back :)

Oh that made my day!:cloud9: How cute!

Seth does something similar when he's tired. He hasn't quite found his thumb yet to soothe himself so he puts his fingers in but a lot of the time puts them in too far and makes himself gag. Hes always fine though, try not to worry too much.

xxx

Bella does the same thing. She doesn't puke, but it actually makes her gag.

Jack does it too, but just gags - usually only does it once or twice as he doesn't like it:hugs:

If they can't see your face, they think you are gone. This is why peek-a-boo is so fun to play with them. They don't know you are still there when you hide your face! And they are so excited when you come back :)

I was advised to play peek-a-boo with Skyler (by a nurse) and now I can lay him down and go about for a while. It really works!He now understands that mummy will always be there even if he cannot see me.I repeat this game regularly as babies sometimes forget.:baby:

I was advised to play peek-a-boo with Skyler (by a nurse) and now I can lay him down and go about for a while. It really works!He now understands that mummy will always be there even if he cannot see me.I repeat this game regularly as babies sometimes forget.:baby:

this is a good idea! are all of our babies classed as clingy??

mine is 5 weeks old, i make sure that when i know that she's full, warm (ish) not tired, that i put her down, rocker, play mat, changing mat, other people, am i doing right? am i doing enough?

Margerle, you're like an encyclopedia!! great post

Toria, I would have said the same as everyone else.. and maybe try putting her down little and often for short periods to play alone, so that she gets used to it a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->