Making your own baby food

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
When I can I would prefer to use fresh fruit/vegetables to make baby's food, but during the winter for example it's not an option with all foods... and if it is, it's expensive...

My question is, should I use frozen or canned when fresh is not available? And which one keeps the most nutrients?

Frozen has more nutrients than canned. What I would do is before summer is over, make up a bunch of stuff that you won't be able to get for a few months and freeze it, it's good for like 6mo in the freezer, that way you have it from fresh, but otherwise I'd use frozen

A lot of reports actually say that frozen vegetables can contain more nutrients than fresh.

You'll be fine using frozen, not sure if i'd use canned myself

I wouldn't use canned, I dont like canned veg though:p

Use frozen over canned!
We are also making baby food, I am starting this week tho and am going to get things done ahead of time (just the basics tho, nothing fancy until I know what she likes/dislikes)

I use frozen veggies quite a lot for Hannah's purees :) I also have used some of the canned fruits (packed in natural fruit juice/water) during the winter

What I would do - is just make lots and freeze it yourself?

Rae/Scorpio sent me a link - I'll hunt it down for you - and basically when you make the baby food, she told me to put it in ice cube trays, as each cube is 1oz I believe she said! So if you make a bunch, and then just put them in heavy duty Ziploc Freezer bags! They last like 6 months I think!

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

There's the link! Gives you recipes on there, as well as storage info, etc! That should help! :)

^ That's smart! I bet I can find ice cube trays at like dollarama or something too so I can still have ice in my freezer :rofl:

we use the ice cube trays to freeze and than store in ziplock bags as well, just make sure to label the bags with the contents and date ;)

and I personally wouldn't make loads to begin with as you never know if the baby will have an allergy or not...but that's just me personally, would hate to waste the money :lol:

I was told to be carefull of canned veggies... check the label for sodium content.

Yep that website has everything you'll ever possibly need for homemade baby food making. I have Anabel Karmel's book too First Meals, but alot of the recipes are better for older kids.

If you're planning on feeding avocado, I have to say that I stock up on them like crazy when they go on sale and freeze them. They're sooo expensive

Also bear in mind that your baby will quite a bit older come the winter and so will be eating different things and textures. You could well find that by the time winter comes she'll be eating pretty much the same as you, just more mushed up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->