Massive labour fears

The intensity of labour will rid your mind of phobia's. No matter how petrified you are of needles, the pain of labour will make you re-evaluate having pain relief in the form of an injection.

That's not true for a huge amount of women. Lots of women go through labour without having pain relief injected even without a fear of needles. Every woman and every labour is different and it is definitely possible to give birth without coming into contact with any needles.

very well said! I infact had no needles my whole pregnancy or labour or birth!

I still birthed in hospital, but it was a completely natural birth partly because thats what i aimed for and mostly because of my fear of needles.

so yes, it can be done!

yep, it totally can!
i didnt have any needles at all in labour, birth or afterwards!

hi ladies :flower:

well the title says it all really. Im 33 weeks and im petrified of the labour, its actually keeping me up at night :( I know he's expected to be big with a very big head and its scaring me silly! I cant have an epidural because of my massive needle phobia, and this phobia makes it worst as i cant imagine coping with them sticking IV's in me :( just getting told i have to have a blood test makes me throw up and hyperventalate. Also, tearing is obviously a big possibility and this means stitches and post partum bleeding due to polhydraminos which ive been diagnosed with. Waterbirth is out of the question according to my consultant and that was going to be my main source of pain relief so im so so so scared. Im only 17 and dont know how im going to cope.

Can anyone calm my fears? please?

You poor thing! I can really recommend the Natal Hypnotherapy cd's. They don't cost too much in the grand scheme of things, but they have just allowed me to have a completely pain free and medication free labour and birth. It works on the principal that birth is, for the most part, a completely natural process which doesn't need any assistance, and will progress better if you relax and let your body go with the flow. It is being worried and scared that causes you to tense up, and being tense causes pain, which in turn causes you to fear the next contractation and it all magnifies.

I hope that you find something that puts your mind at rest, but like I say, it is perfectly possible to have a pain free birth, and therefore a labour and birth with no needles :)

Try not to worry, i know its hard because you dont know what to expect but its not as bad you you think. The only pain you have probably experienced in life is injury pain where you have hurt yourself, or emotional pain. child birth is a totally different pain altogether, i know i'm going to sound crazy but its actually quite an enjoyable pain. Its a very productive pain knowing that your going to meet your baby very soon & keeping that in mind while you labour is very helpful.

Good luck & i'm sure you will be fine xx

It'll be okay, I promise! This is what we were made to do! :hugs:

Write down your fears, and your worries and what ifs. Address each one of them individually and speak to your MW, doctor or doula, and see what you can do together to relieve those fears.

Of course you are scared! Labour is a huge thing to undergo, and at the age of 17, it must seem particularly overwhelming.

Please know, that med techs in hospitals are very good at putting in IV's. It will only bug you for a minute, and then you will not feel it anymore. Look away when they put it in, and repeat something soothing to yourself over and over (like "It's going to be okay") and you will do great.

I would not discount an epidural completely. Wait and see how you feel. It might be worth it, to you.

Try Lamaze breathing to help you cope with discomfort. Also, walk for as long as you can, to speed up your labor and shorten the duration of your pain. Rub olive oil into your perineum every day (starting now!) to help your tissue stretch so it will not tear. If you can take a warm shower or use a heating pad on your back, that might help too. I also find orange oil calming to breathe in.

If you need an episiotomy, they will apply an anesthetic called lidocaine so you will not feel the stitches.

Best of luck to you. Your concerns are normal and healthy, and I am sure you will have a normal and healthy labor.

Also, doctors often mispredict the baby's size, and a woman's body is made to stretch, so don't worry too much. Stress will not help. Relax, take deep breaths, and think happy thoughts.

The most important thing is to let go of your fear. You need to imagine it floating away in a bubble. Fear=pain. A larger baby does not mean you will tear, or that you will have a more difficult labor. My 2nd was my largest by a lb. a whopping 9#4oz. easiest labor to date. So you need to calm yourself, and try focusing. Maybe start learning some relaxation techniques, quiet music, try to practice this starting now. GL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->