Mastisis - lasting affects?

Peppermint25

Reaction score
Hello,

Last weekend I developed mastisis in my left breast. It was agony! I never remember feeling so unwell all in all my life. Anyways, after some antibiotics my fever went and I'm a lot better. The bruised hot feeling in my breast has totally gone, only yesterday I noticed if I move a certain way u get a stabbing pain in it. It's not sore to touch but more just when I move. Is this normal with getting better?

Also my milk supply in that breast has definitely drastically reduced. Probably due to the incompetent doctor telling me not to feed off it for 7 days and only express. Because it was so swollen and I was stressed I got next to nothing expressing. Any ways the second day I rubbished his advice and continued to feed my LO with it where I could. She's never a huge fan of that side so I feel milk production is always less on that side anyways.

It's now 5 days since I started my antibiotics and now when I do pump (for her morning porridge etc.) I get less than 0.5 from that breast where as previously I would be getting 3-4oz. It also just feels constantly empty. Iv tried hand expressing and get nothing out.

So do you think that over time my supply will go back up on that side or will it be a permanent decrease? Can antibiotics be affecting it? If it doesn't should my other side be able to satisfy my girls hunger? She's 7 months but still not consuming much in the way of solids. That's a whole other story though!

Thanks x

My supply reduced after mastitis too but it did increase again. when your pumping make sure you pump for a good length of time even if nothing is coming out.

My LO wouldn't feed off my left side at all for the first couple of weeks and I developed mastitis but my LO feeds off that side fine now and I think my production is the same on both sides now x

Yes, it will return to normal. Mine actually increased over time on the side I got the infection. I express pump/feed so I know the exact amount I get from each side. It took me a couple weeks for my supply to return on the side that I got the infection. Do you have any frozen milk to help supplement her feedings? By having her continually feed on that side it should help bring your supply back quicker. It may hurt a bit but there's no reason to have her stop.

My DD is also 7 mos and she's drinking about 10 oz less a day now that she's on solids. It was a rocky start but now she's a great eater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->