Mastitis is hell

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
I haven't had pain like this is one boob ever. It's worse than my first few weeks of feeding and I have a bright red hot patch on my boob.

I tried massaging it in the shower but it's still got a large lump. The doctors have gave me antibiotics but it will take a few days to kick in and I don't know how much more of this I can take! X

I really truly feel for you. I've had mastitis 3 times in total (twice with my daughter once with my son) and I honestly have never felt so rotten in my life. Rest up as much as you can and keep feeding xxxxx

I haven't had pain like this is one boob ever. It's worse than my first few weeks of feeding and I have a bright red hot patch on my boob.

I tried massaging it in the shower but it's still got a large lump. The doctors have gave me antibiotics but it will take a few days to kick in and I don't know how much more of this I can take! X

With my 2nd baby I had reoccurring mastitis 5 times:( it was hell!!!! The antibiotics would help and as soon as I would get off of them, it would come back. Just had my 3rd baby a week ago, and my midwife have me 'poke root'. It's a natural remedy and you place 2-4 drops in a glass of water, and drink it up. It's very potent stuff. But it works as a prevention AND treatment for mastitis specifically.
I highly recommend it. Also I take a hot shower in the morning, and evening, and with my hand try to manually squeeze milk out to help drain the breasts properly. Once I'm done the shower I place a cold cloth over my breasts. Prevention is KEY. But it can be hard to catch right away. I have no signs of mastitis yet but I'm soon this all to prevent it. Last time I was bed ridden for a week with 105 fever. Felt like I was going to die. Horrible. Hang in there momma!!

My thoughts go out to you! I had my first bout of mastitis ever (and ive nursed two other babes before this one!) just a month ago or so....i felt like i was run over by a truck! My whole body ached, i had a fever and chills, and my boob felt like someone had punched it over and over from the inside! I couldnt even hold my baby, as the slightest touch to my breast made me cry out... The antibiotics kicked in almost immediately, and the pain was gone within a day or two of taking um:):) good luck!:):)

I remember when I stopped breastfeeding Gracie I got mastitis and it was the worst I ever felt. I had a raging temperature, the chills, a migraine my boobs were agony and had literally swelled so big my nipple went completely inverted. I remember crying as I felt so poorly. I hope the antibiotics kick in really quickly for you , and you have a speedy recovery. :)

I'm so sorry :(

It may not feel like it, but breastfeeding on the infected breast will help a lot. Nurse while dangling over your LO so gravity helps pull the infection out.

It does get better - for now though just rest as much as possible, take LO to bed with you and just nurse a lot. And LOTS of fluid (water, juice, powerade/gaterade).

GL mama hang in there!

Thanks everyone. Well today again was hard but I have fed as normal off both boobs and made sure I expressed after all the feeds from that side two. The redness has spread and it's very hot to the touch. I must admit I have struggled to take the antibiotics correctly because I need to take 1 a hour before eating or two hours after 4 times per day. I have only been waiting half an hour after eating to take but hopefully they will still work.

There is still a huge lump inside despite warm flannels, warm bath, expressing, massaging but I can lift my arm today which is progress.

I'll look at buying poke root as I never want to experience this again! X

That is weird about your AB's not working yet. I have had so many bouts of mastitis with DS I gave up counting (pretty much constant for over a year). But I always got relief in the first 24 hours of starting to take the AB's. Also you are able to take Ibuprofen every 8 hours to help reduce swelling on a short term basis (a few days).

When my AB's stopped working as fast, my dr changed out the AB's to something else.

Remember hot/cold compresses, stay in bed as much as possible, massage your breast 'gently' when you are in the shower starting from the nipple and working your way around and out to the breast to break up any congestion in the ducts.

I haven't been able to rest at all because my other half has been away all weekend so I've had my 3 year old and my 8month old alone. I didn't help my self doing a Costco shop.

I must admit Today I feel 100% better! No redness and minor tenderness. I hope I never have to experience that again...my heart goes out to the ladies who get it repeatedly.

Xx

I had mastitis too. Horrible just keep feeding like normal

Hoping youre feeling completely better now!:):)

I also forgot to mention a natural remedy that is proven time and time again, is a raw green cabbage leaf (must be green cabbage), placed in each bra cup. Works for me! Totally worth trying;) hope you're feeling better

I actually done this after a family friend suggested it and it was amazing. It actually worked almost instantly to sooth the heat.

x

Hugs! I had awful Mastitis when LO was a few weeks old. It started as a small red patch (which I ignored) until my entire breast was bright red and swollen (big mistake). I ended up having to stay in hospital on IV antibiotics and have my breast drained every few days, in hindsight I wish I'dve sorted it sooner. If the lump still remains despite the antibiotics definitely get it looked at as you don't want a severe infection. Also, well done for continuing to BF from that breast, the pain sucks but that should help any engorgement.

Hugs! I had awful Mastitis when LO was a few weeks old. It started as a small red patch (which I ignored) until my entire breast was bright red and swollen (big mistake). I ended up having to stay in hospital on IV antibiotics and have my breast drained every few days, in hindsight I wish I'dve sorted it sooner. If the lump still remains despite the antibiotics definitely get it looked at as you don't want a severe infection. Also, well done for continuing to BF from that breast, the pain sucks but that should help any engorgement.

Oh my goodness, your must have been in agony.

I have ended up increasing my milk supply because I've been pumping after every feed to ensure I'm draining my bust! Big mistake. Now I need to reduce the amount I'm pumping or I'll end up with a supply fit for a football team! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->