Mastitis Question

Biotechick829

Reaction score
Last Wednesday night I started feeling REALLY crappy like I was getting the flu. Sure enough Thursday and Friday were the same, fatigue (going to bed 2 hours early), fever (99-101 degrees), chills, and extreme body aches to the point I was crying.

I went to the doctor's Friday anticipating a Flu diagnosis - nope, it wasn't the flu. The doctor suspected a general viral infection and to let it run it's course. I started to feel better Saturday and Sunday was myself again, but last night the body aches, fever and chills all came back. My left breast occasionally has a shooting pain when feeding, pumping, but nothing constant.

If this is Mastitis, which I really suspect, is there another option other than antibiotics? I'm petrified of having to take an 8 day course of antibiotics, not be able to nurse LO, have my supply take a nose dive, and that being the end of breastfeeding.

I'd love to hear any advice or experiences! Thank you:flower:

If you are already having flu-like symptoms, I think antibiotics would be highly recommended. But you can also try warm compresses to help expel all the milk from the infected duct, nursing frequently to help clear out the infection, and massaging the area of pain to release the contents of the affected duct. For pain you can try Tylenol (will help with the fever as well) or cabbage leaves inside your bra.

You will not have to stop nursing, in fact it is even more encouraged every 2 to 3 hours with mastitis. If baby cannot empty the affected breast, then pump after feeding. My supply actually went up due to constantly feeding. The antibiotic of choice will be safe for breastfeeding.

I was just on Keflex for 10 days. It made me feel a little cruddy, but not as bad as the mastitis made me feel, that was death.

I had mastitis right after my milk came in - the doctor gave me an antibiotic...I think Ceflex. He also gave me a shot in my hip although I was so ill I didn't even think to ask what it was. Vitamin B perhaps? I did ask if it was all safe for baby while I was breastfeeding and he assured me it was. Those infections are really serious stuff. I did feel better pretty quickly and the fever was gone within 12 hours after taking the antibiotic. Good luck, I know what your going through and it is rough stuff. :flower:

If you've already been feeling sick for a few days I would definitely get antibiotics, mastitis can turn nasty.

There's no issues with continuing to breastfeed while taking antibiotics, so no worries there.

Hope you feel better soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"