Mastitis - supply loss and how long to clear blocked ducts?

Heramys

It's TWINS!!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm exclusively pumping because of too many issues with sore nipples, thrush and premature babies that wouldn't latch on properly.
I got mastitis and got antibiotics yesterday and the advice to heat up breasts before pumping and massage while pumping. So I have. Yucky pieces coming out from my breast everytime I pump.

My question is: how long time does it usually take to clear blocked ducts? My supply has gone down a lot since this started two days ago and worrying I'm not gonna get it back up again. I do have a little freezer stash but that's not going to last long if this continues :(

Any experience with this?

No experience personally but I've read it can take about a week :hugs: hang in there! Using heat and massage is great. Make sure you are really emptying each time.

If you've had recurrent clogs, you could try taking a lecithin supplement. That thins the fat and makes it less likely that you will get a clog (should make pumping quicker too).

Thanks for the lecithin advice - I might try that if it doesn't go away :flower:

Feel better now after the ducts seem to clear out slowly but supply still low and got blisters on my nipples now instead :(

Why is it so bloody hard to give breast milk to your kids??? :growlmad:

I had mastitis twice; once on each side. it was brutally painful. It lasted about a week for one but the other one was pretty severe and I think it lasted a couple weeks. I don't really remember if my milk supply went down. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. After the mastitis clears you can pump more and increase your milk supply. I used to feed LO on one side and pump on the other. That way both sides were getting drained every two hours.

I had mastitis twice; once on each side. it was brutally painful. It lasted about a week for one but the other one was pretty severe and I think it lasted a couple weeks. I don't really remember if my milk supply went down. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. After the mastitis clears you can pump more and increase your milk supply. I used to feed LO on one side and pump on the other. That way both sides were getting drained every two hours.

Oh that sounds painful :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->