Maternity pay

lorrilou

Reaction score
Dont know whether this is in the right section or not?!!:blush:

Just been looking into smp on the directgov website and im a little bit confused :dohh:

Ive always thought you had to pay back your smp if you didnt return to work but on there its saying that you dont?!!!!

Whats right? x

You dont need to pay back SMP but if your employer pays you extra on top you would need to pay that back.

No you dont have to pay it back as its not actually your employer that pays it is it, they claim it back from the goverment

nope i have done it twice, with paige i wasn't sure whether i was going back and there was someone who i worked with adament that i would have to pay it back if i didn't return!

I didn't go back and went into work last work and the first thing she asked was did i have to pay it back:dohh:

x

No, you don't have to pay ordinary SMP back. You get 90% of your wage for 6 weeks, then you get your standard SMP for the other 33 weeks. If your employer were to say pay you 100% of your wage for say 10 weeks, then there may be a clause that you would have to pay back the excess if you weren't to return. It is a perk some employers use to encourage new mums back to work.

Ah, i see. So if you just recieve basic smp then you dont have to pay it back if you dont return!!

Was just my friend goes back to work in 3mths and really doesnt want to, but i think shes been getting full pay so may have to return. x

Thanks girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->