Measuring small....I know I shouldn't worry but...

Kaleido

TTC #1
Reaction score
I'm a natural worrier, I get anxiety very easily... So the last thing I need to hear at my appt today is that I'm measuring about 3cm behind and need an ultrasound on thurs. My dr has assured me that different people carry in different ways and it's not an exact science at all... And the ultrasound is more of a better safe then sorry..but I can't help it I'm so worried something is wrong! I'm worried that bc I work so many hrs at a pretty physical job that I've somehow caused a problem like low fluid or something. Or that there is something wrong with her and she isn't growing :( . Heartbeat has been good and shes been very active so i guess thats good. This week is going to just drag until thurs. Anyone else measure behind and then things turn out to be normal?

At my 26wk appointment I was measuring 22.5 so I was sent for an ultrasound too. At the u/s they confirmed that my baby is absolutely spot on average in every way :D (apart from his slightly bigger than average tummy... mummy might have been eating a bit too much choccy :haha: )
It all depends on how baby is laying, amount of fluid etc. I know it's worrying to hear that you're measuring small, I was really anxious up until my u/s. But so long as you can feel her moving about then do try not to worry yourself :) :hugs: I'm sure everything will turn out to be fine and baby was probably just laying funny at your appt :) xx

I am also measuring small, got a scan tomorrow, good luck hope all goes well for you xxx

Hiya, I measured behind with my LO, 4 weeks at the last appointment. She was 8lb so totally average :).

Honestly they should scrap the tape measurements and do growth scans at like 28-30 weeks and maybe one at 34/36 weeks as the tape measurements are never that accurate anyway and cause more stress and worry, i know scans are not 100% but they are a bit more accurate.

I had a growth scan like a week and a half ago and had my midwife appointment friday just gone, they've put me smaller than my growth scan which is stupid but it wasn't my usual midwife and my actual midwife got back to me today and was furious and said they shouldn't of measured me anyway as I'd just had a growth scan a week before and not to worry because the scan is accurate and if they were happy (which they were) then don't stress.

When i was in my mums womb at 31 weeks i apparently measured just under the chart, a week later i was over and she had me at 38 weeks weighing 5lbs 8oz (which i'm guessing bubs in my tummy is weighing at now) i was healthy still and now i'm taller than my mum. ha!

I'm sure everythings fine hun, aslong as shes active, i don't think theres anything to worry about and i bet shes on targetm these midwife appointments sometimes are more harm than good lol! I know the worrying though, i've been worrying all weekend because of what happened at my midwife appointment and was thinking of going to triarge but my midwife reassured me today, your a mother to be worrying is natural. xxxx

I always measured small with my last pregnancy, she was really diddy when she was born but was a healthy 6lb13oz. She was in tiny baby clothes till 8 weeks. She's still diddy now at almost 18 months but still very healthy :)

Thank you everyone :) this is exactly the stuff I need to hear. Its been reassuring as well that she is being very active today...I just hope she doesn't have a "quiet" day between now and thurs ( as she sometimes does) or I will definitely freak out. And sparkles, good luck tomorrow, please let us know how it turns out

If it is any comfort i measured two weeks behind throughout my pregnancy and had growth scans. My daughter was born 9 lb7 oz. Not sure where she was hiding lol

Think it depends what way you carry, so hopefully you will go for the scan and LO be spot on size-wise. But remember too that average is just that, an average, and babies can be smaller or bigger and be absolutely fine. For every 10 lb baby there will be a 5-6 lb baby! My daughter was picked up as being small at 30 weeks and they scared the wits out of me every week about something being wrong with her. Well she was born naturally at 37 weeks, small (5lbs) but healthy and well. She's just tiddly, and remains so at 15 months - it's just the way she was meant to be! :shrug:

Had my scan and all is fine with baby, estimated about 7pound, least I got to see the lil cherub again! Asked her to scan the face aswell! Although I did actually end up going to the wrong hospital as I am a dozy mare but luckily I still got seen

It also depends on how they measure. In hospital on Friday I was measured twice. Once at 31cm, once at 29cm, then today at 32cm!! x

I measured 3cm behind at my last appointment and everyone comments how small I look, but we did the ultrasound yesterday and the baby is about 1/2 pound above average! Good she's healthy and growing, but I'm only 5' tall and hoping she doesn't get TOO much bigger :)

I saw the consultant at 25 weeks and was also told I was measuring small at about 21, not what you want to hear when you have just started to relax because you have passed the half way mark. I was sent for a scan the same day, the abdominal circumference measurement was coming up small and was told this could be for a number of reasons (such as the baby just having a pee and having an empty stomach). I had to go back 2 weeks later for a second scan to check the growth again but this time the measurements were all back on track, but have to go back again in 4 weeks for a third measurement. My fundal height measurement is still coming up as small but I believe this is because the baby has always been low in my uterus. I saw the midwife a week later and she told me that most midwives don't measure the fundal height until after 28-30 weeks because some people do just measure small. I would not worry too much and hope all goes well on Thursday. :dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->