Medela - Freestyle vs Swing Maxi - Opinions needed please! :)

jaan613

Reaction score
Hi, I need your opinions please. :)

I was planning on ordering the Medela Free Style Breastpump in the USA and having it brought over for me to use here in the Philippines as I live here. Sole purpose was because it was cheaper there. 300 USD there and 450 USD here.

There is a Medela distributor here which does sell the freestyle. If I purchase it here, I am covered through warranty, if it needs servicing or anything, I can get a replacement unit while mine is being serviced, etc. If I purchase from the US, warranty is only covered there. If there was a problem, sending it back and forth would be a pain in the butt, as my brother or husband come and go to US once every other month.

Another option they are giving me here is to buy the Medela Swing MAXI pump. It has all the same specs as the Freestyle in terms of strength/power,etc. For some reason, it is not sold in the USA, but sold in the UK/Aust/Europe. Apparently it will replace the PISA as this is getting phased out in Asia. It costs about 300 USD here and the main difference between the free style and swing maxi are:

The Freestyle has a rechargeable battery that gives you up to 12 15-minutes pumping sessions before you need to plug to electricity again. The Swing Maxi runs on 6 triple A batteries that gives you only 4 15-minutes pumping sessions before you need to change batteries or plug to electricity. The Freestyle has a digital display that allows you to check elapsed time, battery life remaining, as well as suction strength level. The Swing Maxi has no digital display. They also differ when it comes to inclusions. Below are what are included with each unit:

Freestyle: motor, 2 24mm Personalfit shields, digital screen, rechargeable Medela battery (same suction strength as when pump is plugged to direct socket), carrying bag, 4 150ml bottles, blue ice pack, cooler bag, 2 freestyle connectors with membrane, 2 bottle stands, 1 y-piece tubing, adapter (suited for use in the Philippines), sample disposable bra pads, and instruction manual.

Swing Maxi: motor, 2 150ml bottles, 2 24mm Personalfit shields, 2 Swing Maxi connectors with membrane (same as the connector of Freestyle), 2 bottle stands, adapter (suited for use in the Philippines) and instruction manual.

The adapter isn't an issue, I can already just get one made for Philippines.

Basically, what would you pick?

Has your medela pump ever broken down before and needed servicing?

Am I being silly buying the freestyle in the US because it's 150 USD cheaper and risk not having it covered by warranty?

Do I need the digital display? How important/useful is it?

Rechargeable battery of freestyle is what wins me over, tbh. Changing triple A batteries for the swing maxi is a pain I would imagine. I suppose I could use rechargeable triple A batteries.

I am not going to be working for at least 6-8 months, I will mostly be pumping at home - if I am out and about/on a plane, and batteries of swing maxi run out, I guess I could invest in a small hand pump for those moments?

As you can tell, I am so confused because I am a first time mom! I really REALLY want to breastfeed/pump and do my best to feed for about 6 months without formula. I know each and every woman is different, so here's to hoping I'm able to breastfeed without issues. :)

I pump at work and have a medela pump-in-style advanced with carrying tote. It is great, I love it. I have had no problems with it. It seems that it comes with everything the freestyle does (but not the display). The battery pack is 8AA and has an adapter. The only this I'd suggest for either pump is to get the 21mm shields as well. The 24'arevthe typical shield but not everyone I the same size and sometimes each breast may need a different size (as in my case) and its really annoying to have to wait for another shipment of shields when you need to pump regularly

Just a thought...you can get rechargeable AAA batteries so you could always buy your own recharging batteries :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->