medication affect my chances?

shantay

Reaction score
I am not on medication but have been considering getting on antidepressants for a while now.. I would love to give birth at a birthing center here but afraid IF i do decide to get on meds will it affect my chances of having a natural birth there? Would they want me to go to a hospital then? I haven't switched from my OB practice but I am planning to soon (i am currently 23 weeks) however would hate for this to ruin my chances in giving birth at the birthing center. Anyone have experience with this?

I can't comment on your situation, but in my case, I'm bipolar. I take an antidepressant and an anti psychotic. Due to the small risk that Em may have problems breathing initially, I have to give birth in a hospital with NICU in the delivery room just in case.

Something I have also been wondering, as I am bipolar as well and I am on Lamictal and Welbutrin, as well as Clonidine and Ambien. I have cut back the welbutrin to half of what it was, and I quit my ativan completely. I'm afraid to go off of them all because I really don't want to go down that road again...but I'm afraid of not being able to get pregnant because of them.

Something I have also been wondering, as I am bipolar as well and I am on Lamictal and Welbutrin, as well as Clonidine and Ambien. I have cut back the welbutrin to half of what it was, and I quit my ativan completely. I'm afraid to go off of them all because I really don't want to go down that road again...but I'm afraid of not being able to get pregnant because of them.

Before we started ttc, I weaned off my Lamictal and stayed on my Wellbutrin and Seroquel and Xanax. As soon as I got pg (19 months later lol) I stopped the Xanax. Both my ob and psychiatrist were ok with me staying on the other two while pg. Something to maybe consider, some people who don't have bipolar actually take Seroquel for sleep. It's not a narcotic like Ambien. It definitely knocks me out (hence me taking it at night). When I was ttc I was taking the xanax at night also for racing thoughts and panic attacks. I actually had a panic attack last night and took a xanax (I know it's not good for baby) for the first time since I found out I was pg. I didn't know what else to do...

Sorry I forgot to answer the part about getting pg on the meds. My problem was not the medications, I didn't ovulate on my own. I was on birth control pills for 8 years before starting ttc and I believe that it messed up my body. I (obviously) eventually ovulated on my own and got pg the month after we stopped trying.

I was on serequel, 800mg. It knocked me out, I definetly slept on it but I gained so much weight and felt like a zombie...I was detached and...I will never, ever be on Serequel again. :(

Is ambien considered a narcotic? I didn't realize that. The lamictal stabalizes me, I don't want to go off it. I really don't want to go off the welbutrin, either. But we'll see.

I had an IUD out in January, and with the IUD my periods were spot on and since then they have been as well. But still no BFP. Tried the soy, etc.

Anyways, sorry for the novel. Just worried about the meds. I'm glad you were able to get off of yours, that is a commendable feat! :D

Have you tried calling the birthing centre/miwives and ask them? I thought I would be excluded too (not for medications but for a prior dystocia birth) but sometimes they evaluate on a case-by-case basis and let me in. I'm in Canada though. You surely are not the first girl to take these medications, I'm sure they may be able to advise over the phone.

Yeah the lamictal is a big no no for pregnancy. I was weaned off pretty slowly. I don't have the same problems with the seroquel, and I'm on 700 Mg. But every medication affects everyone differently. About the Ambien, it is a controlled (not narcotic, I misspoke) medication. Controlled meds are still addictive though. There are some non controlled options for insomnia but none approved for pregnancy. A newer one is called Silenor. There's also Rozerem, trazodone, amitriptyline, and doxepin. There might be more though. But one of those would be easier to wean off of quickly since they are non addictive unlike Ambien.

I've spent so many hours researching this stuff I've gotten a headache. I know ativan is a no-no, but the lamictal is up in the air and so is the ambien. There haven't been enough studies with the lamictal and pregnancy and breastfeeding to really have large numbers out there. There was an increased chance for cleft lip in the first trimester with lamictal, and I could probably go off it for the first trimester. I'm only on 200mg. I have an appointment with my psych soon, so I will ask him, as unhappy as he will be about my wanting to get pregnant.

Trazadone gives me migraines, doxepine makes me break out with the worst acne I've ever had in my life...lamictal/welbutrin/ambien combo has been the only combo in my life that has kept me stable for going on three years now. That is why I am so stressed and loath to change it but I don't want to hinder the health of my baby, either.

Argh. Again, thanks for the responses I appreciate it all so much. :hugs:

I am currently taking Lamictal under the supervision of my pyschiatrist and ob and they are very confident it is safe. I have bipolar disorder II. It has risks, but they do not outweigh the risks of me being taken off of them. However, I have been cutting back slowly from 200 mgs to 100 mgs.
One thing my doctors reminded me is that Lamictal is an anti-convulsant meant to stop seizures. Women who are epileptic take them in pregnancy as well because once again, the risks to the mother greatly outweight the risks to the fetus.

From my understanding, the greatest risk with taking Lamictal is the risk of cleft lip/cleft palet, but nothing developmental or neurological.

I am currently taking Lamictal under the supervision of my pyschiatrist and ob and they are very confident it is safe. I have bipolar disorder II. It has risks, but they do not outweigh the risks of me being taken off of them. However, I have been cutting back slowly from 200 mgs to 100 mgs.
One thing my doctors reminded me is that Lamictal is an anti-convulsant meant to stop seizures. Women who are epileptic take them in pregnancy as well because once again, the risks to the mother greatly outweight the risks to the fetus.

From my understanding, the greatest risk with taking Lamictal is the risk of cleft lip/cleft palet, but nothing developmental or neurological.

This made me feel sooo much better, thank you! I am also going to try to lower my dose back down to 100. BFN today, AF...so going to start tomorrow :)

Thanks so much!

This made me feel sooo much better, thank you! I am also going to try to lower my dose back down to 100. BFN today, AF...so going to start tomorrow :)

Thanks so much!

Make sure your doc knows you are weaning! My doc has me going down 50 mgs a month! VERY slowly! It can cause dysphoria, mania and anxiety going down too quickly, plus it can cause gnarly headaches. :wacko: I have only been on 100 mgs from 150 for a few days. So far I don't feel any different. Hopefully it will stay that way! *crossing fingers*

My advice to you is to just stay open, honest, and communicate fully with our doctor! They can't help you if they don't know everything. And remember, having mental health challenges doesn't mean you can't have a fulfilling pregnancy or be a WONDERFUL mother! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->