Mefenamic Acid x Trying to Conceive

patch

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been prescribed mefenamic acid (500mg) for my strong period pains. It's well known that it can make you temporary infertile, so I was wondering if anyone know how much would I have to take to have that effect? I only take it for the period pains and take about 3 tablets a day for 2 or 3 days only but I am worried that it will be enough to make things difficult. I can't seen to find an alternative to this medication either and there is nothing else that makes the pain go away :(
Can anyone help please?

Hey I also take mefanamic for my period pains.. I have been taking it for years now.. I am not sure about the infertile part but I had gone to my doc for checkup and told her she said it is okay to take this med as long as it is for 2 to 3 days during periods.. I don't know if that could be a reason I haven't conceived yet but I use opk and temp I have been ovulating .. I also had my ultrasound done and everything was normal..

Do you know how it can make one infertile ?? My doc also told me there was a n alternative medicine but I am forgetting the name and since this works for me I use it as I have severe pain

Hi,

I have been taking mefenamic acid for about 2-3 years for painful periods. I have been TTC for 9 months now with no luck. I had recently read the same about infertility being on mefenamic acid and from what I understand it thins out the lining of the womb, something to do with prostaglandin levels, which makes the attachment of a fertilized egg difficult.

I had an appointment this week with my GP and told her what I had read, she found it interesting however couldn't shed any light on it (helpful). I have taken the decision not to take it anymore, I'm going to take paracetamol every 4 hours when the pain is bad and if I need further pain relief then I'll go back to the dr's.

I have also written to the MHRA to find out more about their study: mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/l-unit1/documents/websiteresources/con2030180.pdf

I will keep you posted. x

Hi,

I have been taking mefenamic acid for about 2-3 years for painful periods. I have been TTC for 9 months now with no luck. I had recently read the same about infertility being on mefenamic acid and from what I understand it thins out the lining of the womb, something to do with prostaglandin levels, which makes the attachment of a fertilized egg difficult.

I had an appointment this week with my GP and told her what I had read, she found it interesting however couldn't shed any light on it (helpful). I have taken the decision not to take it anymore, I'm going to take paracetamol every 4 hours when the pain is bad and if I need further pain relief then I'll go back to the dr's.

I have also written to the MHRA to find out more about their study: mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/l-unit1/documents/websiteresources/con2030180.pdf

I will keep you posted. x

Hi
I am interested if you have heard anything from them?
Kind regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->