Mei Tai Questions!

K

kirsten1985

I have been using our Mei Tai for a few weeks now, and have a few questions.

1) When is it ok to put baby on your back? I have done this a few times at home with Freya but it feels weird 'cos she is so small! I can hardly feel her and it doesn't feel safe! What age/weight is good for a back carry?

2) Freya feels like she is leaning back a bit when on my front, she has trouble going to sleep in it, because her bum is so much closer to me than her top half. I have tried loads of different ways of tying it, with the straps crossed over her back higher up and all sorts. I have trouble imagining that every babywearer has a beer belly to support their baby??!!! How do I do it?

:flower:

i personally dont feel comfortable putting daisy on my back too, dont think i will till she's alot bigger!

and i feel the same about front carries, i think she sometimes likes having that little bit more room when she's awake to have a wriggle, i find she doesnt go to sleep in my BH compared to the Moby! literally 5 mins in the moby and she's zonked but she's awake in the BH most of the time!!!!

sorry i know that wasnt much help at all!!!lol sorry hun :hugs:

sara

xxxxx

i only started using a mei tai when Jack was about 14 months, before then i used a Kari-me wrap and then a woven wrap. I have always carried him on my back in the mei tai because he is too heavy for a front carry for me! he he he.

maybe try getting a mei tai that is longer in the body, so it supports her head more? i am having trouble imagining how her bum is closer to your body than her top half... do you have any pictures?

Ok, you totally can't see what I mean in this pic, but I have no other recent ones and Freya is asleep so can't take one now! I have since tried not rolling the Mei Tai at the bottom so she is deeper in it, but it makes little difference. I don't think she looks like she is leaning backwards, just to me when wearing her it feels like if she wanted to rest her head on me and go to sleep she would find it pretty hard cos of the position. :shrug:

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/freya100509/laineyfreyameitai050.jpg

i would lower her a bit, it does look like its not tall enough, she doesnt seem to have any coverage round her shoulders? the one i made leyla goes up to her neck but i dont know if i just made mine too long :shrug:

as for putting her on ur back, i waited till leyla could nearly sit up, about 6months :D

x

Yeah I have tried it more around her shoulders, still seems like she's leaning back? :shrug:

Sounds silly but maybe just pulling the straps slightly tighter will pull her closer. I def wouldn't roll now as she looks big enough to sit comfortably without and that should lower her slightly. Another thing is to make sure she is 'sitting' in the fabric ie. The sling is supporting her properly and the weight is on her bum, not her hips. Could be that she is sitting incorrectly so is able to push away from you. Hope this helps!

Another thing is to make sure she is 'sitting' in the fabric ie. The sling is supporting her properly and the weight is on her bum, not her hips. Could be that she is sitting incorrectly so is able to push away from you. Hope this helps!

Thanks, how do I do this?! She is so wriggly, it's all I can manage to get her in it anyway! She's fine once I start walking, but I swear she tries to jump out when I stop! :dohh:

Sounds to me like she could be sitting wrong. We are maybe (rain depending) going for a walk in a little while, I will jiggle her around a bit and see if I can change it.

Thanks!

Have also just noticed she looks very upright, as if she is standing and doesn't look as if she is sitting 'frog legged' as she should be. Try raising her knees and lowering her bum. Before you tie the shoulder straps do a little hop whilst holding the straps so she sinks into the seat of the fabric. It should look almost straight from the back of one knee to the other across her bum iykwim.

I started putting Hayden on my back when he was just a few months old...that's how I got chores done, like dishes. If he was on my front he got in the way, I put him on my back and cleaned and he slept.

I also tie mine under his butt instead of up on his back and he can lean back a little bit. Though he sleeps better right up against my chest or back so if he's going to be sleeping I tie it up high on his back and it holds him in

Have also just noticed she looks very upright, as if she is standing and doesn't look as if she is sitting 'frog legged' as she should be. Try raising her knees and lowering her bum. Before you tie the shoulder straps do a little hop whilst holding the straps so she sinks into the seat of the fabric. It should look almost straight from the back of one knee to the other across her bum iykwim.

Don't know what to do about this, she is only little (about 13lbs something), so when on my front her legs are spread really far apart and she squirms a lot. So I tied a bit of ribbon under her bum to narrow the bit where her legs go. Is this the wrong thing to do? I guess that's why she looks like she is sitting funny. I will try lowering her bum, sounds complicated to me! Lol.

I started putting Hayden on my back when he was just a few months old...that's how I got chores done, like dishes. If he was on my front he got in the way, I put him on my back and cleaned and he slept.

I also tie mine under his butt instead of up on his back and he can lean back a little bit. Though he sleeps better right up against my chest or back so if he's going to be sleeping I tie it up high on his back and it holds him in

Yeah she is only small and tends to try to escape out of the sides, lol, that's why I tend to tie it round her back. I will try it a bit higher up I think.

Thanks for all your help, why do I find it so hard??!! You lot seem to manage it!!

Its just one of those things that are really difficult until you have a play and try lots of ways. Have you watched any youtube vids? They are pretty good at explaining things and also tie in front of a mirror. Took me ages to get my first BH right and now I can tie it in seconds. You will get there and it def gets easier as they get bigger!

Thanks, yeah I have watched a few vids, I will get the hang of it! Thanks :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->