Melatonin (is that how you spell it?!)

AP

Reaction score
Recently lots of people have told me about melatonin(or something) that could help with Alexs sleep issues. I have no idea what it is, whether its natural or not, and where to even start. Whilst I get that kids get up in the night , and that doesnt bother me, it is destroying the whole families sleep and daytime function! And she is always tired herself :(

Does anyone have experience with it

Lots of my mommy friends who have older kiddos (on the spectrum) give their kids melatonin. It is natural in the sense that its what your brain secrets when its night and makes you sleepy. In reverse, its serotonin that your brain secrets once it starts becoming light outside and that's what wakes you up. :flower:

That being said, because brains still develop up until the age of 5 (or at least, the most developing they'll do in such a short time) I'm really hesitant to give it to Claire just yet. Her sleep is sporadic and as awful as it sounds we have to keep her room completely bare (no toys) otherwise she'll wake up in the night and play for a few hours in her room (but never calls for us) and then she's a grumpy bear in the morning.

I don't think it'd hurt to talk to your doctor though about it! :flower:

My son started on melatonin a few months ago. It was good at getting him to sleep. He always suffered mild tics but now they are out of control and I can't help but think it is due to the melatonin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->