Metformin side effects

Timetotry

Reaction score
I've been on metformin for 2 years and still have gastrointestinal issues. The stomach cramping is aggressive and sudden; usually only once a week but its unpredictable.
Hubby and I are planning a trip that involves long stretches of driving. I'm very nervous about how my stomach will be on the trip, especially since I won't know where the closest bathrooms are!

Has anyone found anything that helps with the metformin side effects? OTC meds? Diet? Anything!!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! It's so hard to not let this infertility thing run/ruin other aspects of life!

I've been on metformin for 2 years and still have gastrointestinal issues. The stomach cramping is aggressive and sudden; usually only once a week but its unpredictable.
Hubby and I are planning a trip that involves long stretches of driving. I'm very nervous about how my stomach will be on the trip, especially since I won't know where the closest bathrooms are!

Has anyone found anything that helps with the metformin side effects? OTC meds? Diet? Anything!!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! It's so hard to not let this infertility thing run/ruin other aspects of life!
Hi, hun! Sorry if I’m sounding too pathetic but this is what people say on the topic. :coffee:
After some research made, Metformin has a number of side effects, the most common of which are gastrointestinal as in your case. People who take it experience side effects including nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, increased flatulence or loss of appetite quite often. Some experience changes to their sense of taste - usually a metallic taste.
The common advises that patients can avoid the more common gastrointestinal side effects are by taking the medication during or after a meal. Experts recommend eating a healthy, balanced diet including foods rich in vitamin B12 such as meat, dairy products and eggs. However, it is not recommended for those prescribed metformin to also take vitamin B12 supplements unless advised to by their doctor.
If you are concerned about the side effect you’d better talk to your GP or practice nurse. Immediate medical attention should be sought in cases of breathing difficulties, stomach pain, and some others. So better see you doc before the planned trip, it’d be the best decision. Take care and good luck! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->