Methotrexate Treatment for Ectopic- How long after where you told it was safe to TTC?

1hopefull

Clomid Baby on Board
Reaction score
Hi All :flower:

I had a methotrexate shot on Jan 24th for my ectopic. We were told to wait at least one cycle before TTC again. Since methotrexate is a folate antagonist, I am worried about the possible effects to the baby if it is not out of your system when you conceive (neural tube defects, etc). I have read wait 3 months per dose, 1 month, etc.

Personally, I don't want to worry about birth control, I just want to take a break from TTC. We have been trying for 17 months and had to have help to conceive so our chances with a natural cycle are very low. But I don't want to risk it if there is a chance that the shot could harm the baby.

Has anyone asked there Dr. or know anything about this? I have yet to do that but soon.

i heard it was 100 days, but have no personal experience of it. i think you should call your Dr, they really should have given you advice about that. sorry for your loss xxx

Hi hun, I had an ectopic, treated with Methotrexate in November 2009 I was told not to try for 3 months from when HCG was down to 0, this was on 24th November 2009. I had a period 17th December which lasted 1 day then nothing until 30 days later (normal cycle). You should have repeat HCG tests until they get to 0 - I had about 7 tests until this happened. You are advised to wait 3 months simply because of what you have said the methotrexate strips the body of folic acid and there is an increased risk of neural defects etc.

I waited until end of February 2010 before I started trying but allowed myself to have a proper period before we actually really got down to TTC. So in March 2010 we started again.

I took double folic acid from end of Feb (800mg) and he presto got my BFP from cycle in April - May 17th and have just had my baby on 17th January 2011.

I actually like you welcomed the 3 months off as it allowed me to enjoy xmas, get drunk etc and get myself prepped up again to TTC it was really nice x

Hey misses, i was told to wait 6 months as i had to have a 2 doses of methotrexate in may 2007, we were told of the risk and decided to take heed. we brought our wedding forward to fill the 6 months, and 4 1/2 months after my final dose, i found out i was pregnant, i was but on a high does of folic acid (by prescription) and after 12 week scan was told i could reduce to normal prenatal vitimins, my daughter was born perfect. i would recomend waiting at least the 3 months, and when you are thinking about starting to try again, ask for an enhanced dose of folic acid, just in case.

sorry to hear about your loss and hope you are able to rest up and relax a bit in these next few months. i total believe that we only concieved our daughter after 12 months of ttc, 1 miscarriage and an ectopic, because we weren't trying.

Good luck xx

My doctor told me to wait 2 cycles because of the low dose that I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->