Middle name dilemma...

mazndave

Mummy of 1 + bump!
Reaction score
Our little girl due in 8 weeks will be named Elsie, but I'm struggling with her middle name.

I'd originally wanted Elsie Alice Rose - my nana was called Alice Elizabeth so it's a variation of that, plus my mum's middle name is Rose. However, DH doesn't like Alice at all! He's willing to let me use it just because he knows I love it and the meaning behind it, but I feel bad going with something I know he isn't 100% behind. My other 2 options are Elsie Ivy Rose and Elsie Iris Rose which DH likes both of, but then do they sound a bit silly being 2 plant/flower names? And I don't love them as much as Alice because there's no reasoning behind them, they're just names.....

I think the middle names Ivy Rose and Iris Rose are lovely together regardless of the flower connection and Alice is nice too. Did your nana have a middle name or nickname you could perhaps use?

Alice Elizabeth was her name, which is where I got Elsie Alice from. Her nickname was Betty which I wouldn't want to use!

I really like all three, but I think I'd go with the sentiment of your Nan's name. It's not like your other half will have to say her middle name every day, I don't think middle names are such an issue if it's not a name you both love iykwim.

Yeah I've said to him before that at the end of the day she'll be called Elsie to him and he won't be going round calling her Elsie Alice Rose all the time, so it shouldn't really be an issue. I think I'll just go with my gut and have what I want seeing as he's willing to go along with it! My son's middle name is Alexander, and I also think it's nice that Alice has a similar ring to it as Alex.

I say use Elsie Alice Rose bc you love it, plus it's sentimental to you. Like you said, it's nice your OH has agreed to it... so why not?

Another thought - what about a variation of Alice - like Alicia?

Elsie Alicia Rose is pretty! They are both close variations to Alice Elizabeth - but perhaps your OH likes this more?

Hmmm, I quite like Alyssa - Elsie Alyssa Rose. I might see what he thinks to that one! Thanks x

What about Elsie Beth Rose? Or Elsie Liz Rose? Variations of your Nan's middle name.

I quite like Elsie Beth Rose actually, but wanted her middle name to have something to do with Alice simply because Elsie is a derivative of Elizabeth, and didn't want 2 of her names to come from the same one.

DH likes Alyssa/Allissa, but I still prefer Alice myself!

What about Alicia? It's close but a little different too.

What about Alicia? It's close but a little different too.

I like Alicia if it's pronounced A-liss-e-uh, but where I am I know so many people who would think it's pronounced A-lish-uh or A-leesh-uh, which I'm not so keen on and wouldn't want.

I'm just going to stick with Alice for now I think, and see how he feels about it once she's actually here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->