Middle name for Aibhlin

We're looking for Gaelic names too but it's hard to find ones that are not too common or not too weird, right? :D Eilidh is on our list too, also Mhàiri/Màiri and Mòrag (people say such horrible things for Mòrag though). I liked the two syllable version, Aibhlin. I also like Bethóc a lot. Could be a middle name if you wanna go full Gaelic. I'd suggest Maisie too, but I guess it's too common now.

I like Maisie if it's short for Mairead but DH can't pronounce it properly which would annoy me lol! :)

My mum is called Morag! It's becoming a wee bit more popular again now but to me it's old fashioned because it's my mum's name! :) I really like Mhairi (especially since it's spelt correctly and not Vari). Oddly enough my mum's sister is Mairi haha!

I totally agree about a lot of them being either common or weird! Are you going for Irish or Scottish Gaelic names? I'm Scottish Gaelic x

Same, Scottish Gaelic :winkwink:

Ah, M names are all taken then haha. Is your name Gaelic too? I think it's good that you don't want too weird names just to make them SG, I have the weirdest names, one Welsh one SG, everybody misspells and mispronounces so I hate them :wacko:

I like two sylables. I know my MIL considered Aibhlin for her little girl. She was going to use Iona as a middle name.

What about...

Dervla (maybe more Irish?)
Flora
Rona
Orla
Roisin
Isla
Elspeth
Naimh

Same, Scottish Gaelic :winkwink:

Ah, M names are all taken then haha. Is your name Gaelic too? I think it's good that you don't want too weird names just to make them SG, I have the weirdest names, one Welsh one SG, everybody misspells and mispronounces so I hate them :wacko:

No mine isn't Gaelic but is very Scottish. The spelling is a worry. I and my family would be able to pronounce it easily as it is. She/he (I'll stick to she since we are talking girls' names) will be going to a Gaelic school so she shouldn't have too much bother in school but what about after that...what if she wants to go to England, or Southern Scotland even? Will she end up having to correct everyone constantly regarding her name! Avelyn would solve this problem but, to me, it takes away the traditional aspect of the name. :shrug:

I like all of the names mentioned as middle names so far...I am a teacher and a lot of these are off limits because I either teach children or have friends with these names.

Any more suggestions much appreciated xx

I like all of the names mentioned as middle names so far...I am a teacher and a lot of these are off limits because I either teach children or have friends with these names.

I had the exact same problem! My absolute favourite name for our son would have been Rhys but I teach about 6 Rhys's and they are all little monsters :dohh:

I had the exact same problem! My absolute favourite name for our son would have been Rhys but I teach about 6 Rhys's and they are all little monsters :dohh:

Haha, this is bordering on Katie Hopkins territory! Better leave it alone :)

No I'm only joking. I understand what you mean. There can be absolutely nothing wrong with a name but if you know one person with it that you're not keen on it puts you off. There's loads of beautiful names my hubby has suggested that I'm not keen on because I knew someone when I was in school with that name or just because I know someone else with the name and I want baby's name to be unique without being too 'out-there' x

^^Oh god no! lol

I think Rhys is a beautiful name, I would just associate it with too many individuals I know to use it myself.....just to clarify, before I offend someone! :dohh:

Wasn't that Katie Hopkins thing awful though?! I was cursing at the screen! I have a nephew named Tyler! :growlmad:

One of my favourite boys names is Ruaidhri, which there are loads of spellings for, but I think we'd probably end up having to spell it Ruari since we have so many English family members. Mind you even the Scottish family members are all East Coasters and might struggle with the spelling since Gaelic isn't really used over here.

I worry about how it will affect the baby in the future as I work with quite a few Nigerians, and most of them end up using anglicised nicknames of their real names.

One of my favourite boys names is Ruaidhri, which there are loads of spellings for, but I think we'd probably end up having to spell it Ruari since we have so many English family members. Mind you even the Scottish family members are all East Coasters and might struggle with the spelling since Gaelic isn't really used over here.

I worry about how it will affect the baby in the future as I work with quite a few Nigerians, and most of them end up using anglicised nicknames of their real names.

The Scots Gaelic way of spelling it is Ruaraidh (I'm a Gaelic teacher) but I've seen it anglicised to Ruari. It's a lovely name but, like pippi said, I know a few too many kids with it already :) I'm going to go with the Gaelic spelling of Aibhlin if we use it and she will have my express permission to spell it as Avelyn if she ever moves to England :winkwink:

And pippi...yes it was terrible! It was quite funny when she said she hated names that were geographical locations but she has a daughter called India. Apparently 'that's not a place though, it's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl' lol! :dohh:

Thanks for giving me the correct spelling. There's not too many Ruaraidh's round here, with any spelling, which is one of the reasons I like it, but I'm still not 100% sure.

That's a good idea about giving your daughter permission to change the spelling if she wants to. Aibhlin is a gorgeous name :)

That woman is awful! Loved the look on her face when Holly told her off at the end of the segment.

Love the name :) either 2 or 3 syllables. Some other suggestions for middle names:
Tory
Heather
Skye
Niamh
Cara
Ciara
Caitlyn

Good luck :)

And pippi...yes it was terrible! It was quite funny when she said she hated names that were geographical locations but she has a daughter called India. Apparently 'that's not a place though, it's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl' lol! :dohh:

You couldn't write it could you?! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->