• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Middle names....

mazndave

Mummy of 1 + bump!
Reaction score
Bit of a strange one this....

My little girl will be called Elsie, and we'd decided on Alice Rose as her middle names (Alice after my late Nana and Rose is my mum's middle name. My nana's middle name was Elizabeth and that's also where I've kind of got Elsie from)

Anyway, last night I dreamt my grandad had died :cry: (that's where the strange comes into it!) and in my dream I was devastated because he never got to know that his great grandaughter was named after his late wife. In his honour I decided to change her second middle name from Rose to Rae (his name is Raymond, and if we'd had a 2nd boy that would've been his middle name)

So my dilemma is this - I actually quite like Elsie Alice Rae (or even Elsie Rae Alice if it flows better), and the idea of naming her after both my nana and grandad (I don't think we'll have anymore in the future so Raymond won't be used) Do you think I'd upset my mum by not using Rose? I've mentioned middle names to her before but she doesn't know her first name. Also, my 22 year old cousin has Rae as her middle name, does this matter? Her mum & dad split when she was little and hardly has anything to do with my uncle and our side of the family. Does it even sound 'right' as a name??

I see 3 people have voted on the poll - would anyone like to share their opinions on the names and why they prefer the one they do? I'm really struggling to decide! My husband has said he prefers Rae to Rose.

I think Elsie Rae Alice or Elsie Alice Rae (both sound nice) sound much nicer than with Rose. Rose is so overused IMO and even though it's a family name too, I think it's more meaningful to name after grandparents or those who have already passed (just my opinion)
Plus you both really like Rae so it sounds like you're pretty settled anyways?
Definitely do what you think is best! I don't think the 22-yr old with mn Rae matters at all, and I don't think your mom would/should be offended so long as you haven't told her you wanted to use Rose before. Even so, you can explain you just had that dream and it made you change your mind.

:hugs: sorry you had such an awful dream, btw

Exactly what she said ^^^ are my thoughts. But really, if you love a name, go for it!

I would say Elsie Alice Rose.

I know Rose is pretty common but they are all beautiful classic names. Rae just doesn't fit imo. It's too hard sounding with the pretty, traditional names.

I voted for Elsie Alice Rose - very soft, feminine, and pretty

I'm not a fan of the name Rae, especially for a girl... but that's just my opinion

If you & your OH both like it and would like to use it to honor your granddad... I think you should! I doubt your mom will mind... at least she shouldn't mind. If anything, I think she will be happy that you are naming your baby after your grandparents!!

If you opt for Rae... I prefer Elsie Alice Rae (in that order)

** I would just like to point something out...

Even if you name her Elsie Alice Rose - her initials will be "E-A-R" which is "RAE" backwards! :D So technically his name is ALSO in there!!! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->