Midwife appt and poss of moving and home birth

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
Right well I have only just received my bookin in appt with the midwife, the day before my scan last thing.. Better late then never and I had to push for it for some reason but hey!

Anyway, our tenancy ends in nov and we are possibles considering moving in this time, I have already booked the time off work and the only reason we wouldn't move would mainly be not finding a suitable home/not enough deposit. How would this affect my midwife appts as we are considering 2 different areas.
Also when I have my appt I'm going to discuss a home birth, I think there is no reason for me not to have one. My last pregnancy was fairly easy with no real complications and my blood pressure was perfect throughout. If we moved how would this affect me possibly getting a home birth?

Thanks!

If you move and it's to an area that isn't covered by the midwife team that comes to where you are now, you'd just have to get your care transferred to a team in the new area. The midwife might be able to do it for you or more than likely, you just call up the new team and tell them you need to see them. I'd ask at your booking appt though.

But no, no bearing at all on whether or not you can have a home birth. Actually, they have no say over whether you can have one or not. It's your choice, even if you're high risk. They may not recommend it if you have had some complications, but they will still attend as they have a duty of care to you, wherever you decide to birth.

If you do transfer your care though, I would just mention it to the midwife you see at your first appt with the new team. They do ask at the booking appt where you are thinking of having your birth and it gets written down in your notes, but that doesn't mean anyone will ever look at it again! They completely forgot I'd said I was having a home birth, but I just brought my birth plan to my 36 week appt. We discussed it, I had one additional midwife appt with my named midwife to go over it in more detail, then they gave me the home birth box with all the supplies to take home at 37 weeks. My daughter arrived at home 5 days after that.

So you really don't even need to bring it up until your 34 or 36 week appt as everything can usually be arranged very quickly and frankly you don't even need to tell them in advance. You can decide once you're in labour and ask them to send a midwife out to you. They'll just bring all the supplies with them when they come. But obviously, it helps if they've had a chance to discuss your wishes with you and get proper directions to your house before then. So really it's never too late!

As Pp said it won't really make much difference. If you fall under a diff care team then you should make an appt at your new docs and meet the midwife there. They should just be able to transfer your care across with no probs.
can't see a prob with your home birth, the only thing will be if you are moving from an area that is very geared for home births to an area that isn't so prepared. They may not have as many midwives out on the rounds, or as many community midwives if a more rural area. They should still be able to accommodate you but the more notice you can give then the better xx

Tbh I wouldn't have a home birth if it was quite strongly recommended that I didn't have one! But thanks any for the advice I will ensure that I tell the midwife that I'm thinking of moving in nov. we aren't movin to far we will still b under the same pct as we are staying in the same town but we would be at a new docs as we would either move further out on the end we are at or to the other side of town.

Thanks

Yes if you are still under the same pct it shouldn't change too much. We moved outside our pct recently and it was so easy, I know I'm earlier on than you will be but I just went to see the new mw and I actually preferred her to the old one! Everything stayed the same so shouldn't be a problem for you, good luck for your home birth!

I would let the new team know you are planning a home birth with plenty of notice though as generally they're only on-call for homebirths if someone has actually booked a homebirth. In my area if you BBA (born before arrival) or far on in labour and ring for support but not booked for a home delivery then an ambulance would be sent with paramedics with a view to delivering the baby or transferring you into hospital if delivery isn't imminent and not a midwife as they're not on-call for you.

You'll prob need to have another booking appt with the new team when you move areas. Just get in touch with them ASAP once you've moved regardless of whether you're due an appt or not. The quicker you get booked and know your new midwife the better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->