Migraines and period pain - need some advice please!

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Hello :flower:

I have suffered from migraines for many years and recently I've had an absolutely horrendous one at the start of every period, usually 1-3 days in.
I also suffer from terrible cramps. The cramps I can work through with decent painkillers if I have no other choice, but the migraines completely knock me out.

So here's my problem. I am a SAHM to a 3 year old and the last few months i've had to get my parents in to look after her for a full day while I've been in bed with a migraine at the start of my period. I got my period this morning and tomorrow we are going to spend the day with my friend and her little girl in Edinburgh which is an hour away on the train so it's going to be a long and busy day. The following morning, first thing, we have an inspection on our rented property so I HAVE to be up early and organised on Wednesday morning. Going by the usual pattern of things, I would normally get the usual migraine on Wednesday after tomorrow being so busy.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips for how I can reduce the risk of getting one, or anything I can actually do to help me power through if I do! At least till the inspection is over. I know I'll have to get LO and myself up, organised and the bathrooms cleaned after everyone's showers etc, breakfast dishes dealt with etc.

Of course there's always a chance I'll be fine, but there's a huge chance I won't!

DH doesn't work Mondays so we are doing as much as we can today in the house to make sure it's ready and we'll all be out all day tomorrow so it'll stay tidy. I can try to get early nights tonight and tomorrow night if I can but other than that, I don't know if there is anything else I can do. I need to sort out Sophie's playroom tonight after she goes to bed and judging by the state of it, that will take a long time! She seems to have EVERYTHING scattered everywhere!

Any thoughts please? :flower:

xxxx

Keep hydrated, avoid the common triggers like caffeine. Make sure you get a good sleep and try and stay relaxed! I use lavender oil and it really helps, both to stop a migraine developing properly (along with paracetamol and ibuprofen) and to deal with the pain and nausea if I do get a proper one. I put a few drops on a tissue inside my pillowcase and will rub some on my temples if I actually get one, or just sniff from the bottle!

If you're getting them regularly and you know it's hormonal, have you been to the doctors about it? It's probably not worth taking preventative meds all month but they should be able to give you something stronger than OTC stuff to take as and when needed. I can get by with paracetamol and ibuprofen but naproxen is better for me if they're frequent.

Well I had the beginnings of a migraine last night Rachel, I went for a bath and then rubbed lavender oil on my temples and had a sniff of it from the bottle for good measure! Then had lots of water and went to bed with an imigran and some painkillers, got lovely and relaxed, had a great sleep and woke up with no migraine :)

Fingers crossed I don't get one tomorrow either then I can stop worrying! I have hardly had any caffeine today, just coffee first thing this morning, and have had plenty water. I think I'll do the lavender thing again tonight.

Thank you so much for your advice. xx

I'm glad it seems to be working. Fingers crossed you can keep the damn things away!

Sorry if this is stupid-- lol-- but I thought caffeine helped with migraines? Least when you get one- my bestie and husband both suffer from them at times, and they both have said that caffeine helps. IDK. Just a thought-- also, the migraine meds we get (over the counter) have caffeine in them... excedrine migraine pills.

I've no other great advise- I'm assuming you've seen a doctor to see about what can be done? As they are both connected and hormones can affect migraines-- so maybe there is a way to keep your cramps/periods more in check and thus help with the migraines? Maybe even see a naturopathic doctor- I had great luck with my tummy upset after years of pains the doctors couldn't help. I know it's not the same thing- but maybe there are natural things you can do.

Sorry- no great help, just some thoughts. Hope all is better than expected :hugs:

Hi i was diagnosed with Abdominal Migranes and prescribed Sumatriptan nasal spray, you can get it in tablet form or injection, its rly works -read so many positive reviews about this im new to it because only recently diagnosed gl

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->