Migraines

KBCupcake

Reaction score
Hi gals. I suffer from migraines and I don't have very many options to relieve them. I've tried all sorts of stuff (Aleve, Excedrin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, you name it) but when I find something that works, after a while, it stops working entirely. The only thing that always works is sumatriptan but because it's category C I won't be taking it during pregnancy

I also took Topamax as a preventative but because it's category D I've stopped taking it while TTC and I've noticed an increase in my migraines :(

Does anyone recommend safe solutions to migraines during pregnancy? They're debilitating and stressful and unfortunately not any pain killer will do. Thank you xxx

I took co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine) at the over-the-counter strength while pregnant. I was getting week long migraines so I didn't really feel I had a choice. Thankfully it worked really well and I didn't have to use it too often.

When you've had your baby, if you normally have trouble finding medications that last you could look into botox. My mum gets it done about every 6 months I think and it stops them completely.

Thanks so much, I'll give that a try. And yeah I've considered Botox, though on commercials for it they state it's only for people with 15+ migraines a month. I've had about 5 this month alone so I don't know if I'm a candidate. But if possible, it sure would be great to get it before getting pregnant

Thanks again

Oh man, I feel you. I've tried everything over the years and the only remedy that works for me is extra caffeine. As soon as I feel one coming on, I load up on Excedrin, diet coke and a snickers bar.

Hope you can find something... it's truly awful to deal with.

Same here. I have terrible migraines and suffer from complex migraines at times as well which are really debilitating. Faced the same situation as you did when I got pregnant. Had to get off everything. Eventually, things got so bad they suggested Sumatripan (I think it is) but that is still a triptan and I didn't want to risk it.

These are the things I have tried:

- tied scarf tightly around head
- caffeine - any shape or form but mainly as just strong coffee
- rubbed analgesic gel on forehead/temples (like Deep Cold)
- ice packs, all over my head
- something heavy on head
- dark room (I call it my bat cave) with everything closed
- shower (I can't manage one half the time though)
- making sure sugar isn't low so eating snacks often

What really works for me - and this is going to sound very odd - is putting ice packs on and around my head while lying down and stacking heavy things on my head. I usually use the laptop which is on a laptable cushion thing so it's quite heavy. Yes, that's right, I cure my migraines by shoving a laptop on my head. It happened by fluke one day when I crawled under it to get the sun out of my eyes as I couldn't move and happened to have it beside me. It was heavy on my head and I found enough relief quickly and fell asleep. The gel on my forehead helps with those painful itchy bumps I get there as the ice pack feels especially effective with a small layer of gel. Not sure if you get those bumps though, not everyone does. It still feels good, if you can stand the smell.

I also heard that putting your feet in warm water + an ice pack at the base of the neck at the same time would help. I haven't tried it yet.

I did take paracetamol when things were too bad. It's like taking candy but perhaps it stopped it from getting worse. If I did take it immediately when I first noticed signs, it did help to prevent it turning into a massive one. I drank more caffeine than the 'limit' some people say pregnant women should have because I felt it was much safer than anything else I could do for the migraine at that point.

Btw, now that you are off those meds, it's possible to get withdrawal migraines for a bit so that can play into it as well.
:hugs:

I found that sleeping with my head right back (chin up) helped prevent migraines while I was pregnant. No idea why! Lavender oil helps ease them too.

I found that the minute i got pregnant my migraines stopped. I didnt even have a sore head all the time i was pregnant. 10 days after i gave birth my migraines reappeared. Ive not got out bed today as i physically cant lift my head.

I do find grabbing it before it starts helps.

I second the lavender oil.

I started getting them for the first time in my life last year they took me down hard. Tried all the otc stuff, and massive amounts of caffeine others suggested, yoga, alternating hot and cold on the back of my neck and feet to alter blood flow but it didn't help much. One got so bad I actually ended up in the ER. They did a CT scan to check for tumors and aneurysms because my pain was driving my blood pressure through the roof. They thought it had to be more than just a migraine to be causing that much pain. They tried morphine, demoral and immitrex all of which dilated my blood vessels apparently and left me near screaming in agony. I left after they wore off no better but finally (and thankfully) not any worse than when I'd gone in.

I googled all night out of desperation and found studies that showed lavender oil was more effective than even the most potent of migraine meds. I got some, tried it and my at that point 8 day migraine finally dissipated.

Now whenever I feel one coming in it's my go to. I haven't had one get that bad since and the relief starts almost immediately.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I personally use the lavender oil from Young Living because I feel they are most potent. Spendy, but well WELL worth the investment imo.

I have basilar migraines. I experienced them a lot before my pregnancy (actually fell down in front of my building in NYC, someone had to pick me up) and was PETRIFIED when we decided to get pregnant. Happy surprise: Migraines and headaches all together disappeared when I got the BFP!

They're recently come back full-on (3 ENTIRE days of headache and vertigo, holding onto walls not to fall over, etc). I went to a neurologist to make sure I wasn't having a stroke, and when she took my history I told her about their complete disappearance during pregnancy. She told me that was very common! (Ps--No stroke, just migraines again, thank goodness.)

So, perhaps they'll just go! Fingers-crossed for you! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->