Milk and nipple changes (nursing #1 pregnant with #2)

nicem815

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's normal when it comes to still nursing one while being pregnant with another? For a while, it seemed like I had little to no milk left. Now, I'm 23ish weeks and my nipples are much more sensitive AND I seem to have a little more milk....except the left side seems to be giving me what looks like colostrum?! I'm currently BFing a 21 month year old so she only nurses a couple times a day.

Anyone have any input?

I really have no idea what's normal as this is the first time I've nursed through a pregnancy and I haven't done any reading about what to expect, but I'm similar to you. I think my milk went away around the mid teens I think?? My son told me that my "milk was broken" but the other day he said I still had milk. It looks like colostrum when I tried to express it and it's only a little but I'm pretty sure it was completely gone and now it's coming back. And yes the soreness!!! Aversions too. Some days I don't mind nursing and other days I can't take it at all. He doesn't nurse often (he's 2 1/2) so I'm hoping I can hang in there. Just when I think I can't nurse anymore, the next day doesn't bother me at all so for now I'm trucking along. I really wanted to let him self wean and tandem nurse but I'm open to let what needs to happen happen. Today I'm still happy to be nursing.

I don't have any personal experience, but I know there are other active members here that do! They probably just don't check this section of the forum very often. Bevziibubble is the first one I can think of off the top of my head. From what I remember reading in her journal about feeding her first (who was older) while pregnant with her second, that sounds normal. I believe she mentioned that her supply kind of dried up and then she had colostrum. Her first didn't seem to mind and didn't self-wean, it was just different.

Congrats on baby #2 and I hope you're able to nurse as long as you and DD would like to! If I'm still nursing when #2 comes around, I'm not sure I'd be able to if my nipples are anywhere near as sensitive and sore as they were with my first pregnancy! OUCH. I needed a big DO NOT TOUCH sign for my boobs for DH through half my prengancy. :haha:

When I was breastfeeding my first while pregnant with my second, I completely lost my milk around 16-18 weeks. I had colostrum by 24 weeks, we just dry nursed right through between. He continued to nurse until halfway through my pregnancy with my third, I completely weaned him on his 4th birthday, although it was just a less than 5 minute session before bed for the last year.

I am still breastfeeding my second while pregnant with my third. I noticed my nipples getting very sensitive around 24 weeks as well. I was not cognizant of when I lost my milk this time, if ever completely, but I do have "something" now, probably colostrum. DD has not wavered in her desire to nurse, although unless she is sleepy it is usually a quick session, I don't think she is getting much if anything.

I intend to keep nursing her alongside the new baby, as I did with my first.

Thank you SO MUCH ladies!! This info helped me so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->