Milk blisters from lip tie? Supply issues too!

MrsHudson

Mama & Doula
Reaction score
My little guy is three weeks old and has been getting severe milk blisters on the top and bottom lips. The dr checked him and it is not thrush but sort of looks like it once they pop. I try to make sure his lips are flanged out when feeding but sometimes hell suck them back in and I have to flick them out with my thumb. I plan to ask the dr when we go in for a weight check Friday, but wondered if this could be a sign of lip tie?

Also I've had a supply issue since my milk came in. I ended up giving him formula when he was about a week old which didn't help but I couldn't stand seeing him so upset. Since then, I've done nothing but nurse when he wants and FF when it isn't enough. I just cut him back a bottle too. He's just now gained over his birth weight so the dr is a little worried but understands my need to try and BF. I've even started pumping when I can but it's hard when I'm alone all day. I'm wondering if lip tie could be the problem with this as well.

Your Dr could check for lip or tongue tie. Have you tried looking at pictures on the internet and checking his mouth? If he doesn't have a good latch it can also affect your supply. Do you have a LA leche league or anything? I found my lactafion consultants to be incredibly.helpful with my lo who has a tongue tie. She can now successfully nurse and we have had to get it cut yet.

I found pictures and it looks like what he has. I made an appointment with the LC I saw at the hospital. Pretty much every issue we have is a sign of lip tie. I do go to La Leche meetings and the advice they've given for upping my supply hasn't helped. Not to say it's their fault at all. That's why I think there's an underlying issue. They actually pointed out the milk blisters because I had no idea what they were and thought it was normal.

His lip:
https://i62.tinypic.com/np5c3a.jpg

The blisters:
https://i57.tinypic.com/nq4hs8.jpg

They are whiter than normal because he had just had formula.

Awww poor little guy. I don't know much about lip tie. Just tongue tie. I do know that they can fix it and generally babies bounce back and nurse immediately. So hopefully that is the case. My lc suggested something that worked for our tongue tie. I'll try and explain (would be easier if I could show you)

The tie prevents a good latch. But you sometimes can teach them to latch deeper. It's just more work for them so takes more effort for them and more practice. Place your finger pad up inside los mouth so he can suck on it. Make sure your finger goes back far enough lime your nipple would and encourage sucking. He may have at first depending on what he's used too. Once he starts sucking gently push down on his tongue to encourage correct sucking. Do this a few times.per day.
Then when he's eating make sure he opens his mouth really big. You'll likely have to take him off and relatch many times as he's learning.

That's just a suggestion..... Maybe try between now and dr visit. Not sure where you live but in US there is differing opinion on whether to cut tongue and lip tie. If you think he needs it I would push for it. It's not invasive at all. And honestly I should have pushed for my lo. We are good now but we had pointless struggles at first.

So we saw the LC yesterday. Oliver has both a LT and PTT. She said his LT is flexible enough it doesn't affect his latch at all and would be fine on its own but he will most likely have gapped teeth from it. The PTT is what really screws up BF for us. He is not sucking properly because he can't fully extend his tongue so that's most likely my supply problem. I am going to gett thyroid checked as my mom has hypothyroidism and that could be another reason. If I had a good supply he would be able overcome it. Long story short, we have the number to a dentist who can fix it and I'll be calling for a consult tuesday after the holiday. The pros of having it corrected now outweighs the cons.

As for the milk blisters, she didn't really say one way or another but his latch is good so I think it's coincidental.

So we saw the LC yesterday. Oliver has both a LT and PTT. She said his LT is flexible enough it doesn't affect his latch at all and would be fine on its own but he will most likely have gapped teeth from it. The PTT is what really screws up BF for us. He is not sucking properly because he can't fully extend his tongue so that's most likely my supply problem. I am going to gett thyroid checked as my mom has hypothyroidism and that could be another reason. If I had a good supply he would be able overcome it. Long story short, we have the number to a dentist who can fix it and I'll be calling for a consult tuesday after the holiday. The pros of having it corrected now outweighs the cons.

As for the milk blisters, she didn't really say one way or another but his latch is good so I think it's coincidental.

I was going to say that lip tie comes hand in hand with tongue tie often and that tongue tie often causes way more problems than lip tie.
Are you getting the PTT snipped?

The pediatric dentist we're seeing does the laser. I'm calling tomorrow to set up a consult. We'll have both revised if she feels it necessary. I did suspect PTT because he clicks his tongue when sucking but he wouldn't let me have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->