Milk protein allergy and mucusy poops

mk8

Reaction score
Hi all. My 6 week old preemie (adjusted age 2 weeks) has been having mucusy poops for past 3/4 weeks. We had the stool tested and no infection. Therefore suspecting a milk protein allergy. I've cut dairy and am using colief. He's quite well in himself but can be gay on occasion. Mucus still there so wondering if it's another allergy. Anybody else in same boat?

Have you cut out all dairy or just the obvious milk, cheese and yogurt type things? It can take up to 6 weeks for all milk proteins to leave yours and your baby's bodies so it could be a case that thing will improve with time.

The other thing to consider is that a large percentage of babies with cmpa also have a problem with soya. Have you replaced dairy products with soya?

My dd2 is 18 months old now and still intolerant of dairy and soya (+ other allergies). I managed to breastfeed her 13 months on a very restricted diet. It is hard work, but was so worth it for us. Fingers crossed for a happier and more comfortable baby soon :flower:

Thanks lil mole. Yes I'm hoping that it's a case of the milk protein taking some time to leave my system but I just have a feeling it is something else.

I haven't cut soy as I cook with a lot of soy based things like soya sauce. But that's my next plan if no improvement on the mucus poops after another three weeks. I have recently cut out eggs though.

I've cut all dairy so am religiously checking the ingredients of food packets. I am not drinking soya milk though. I'm replacing cow's milk with almond milk, rice milk and oat milk.

Well done to you for breastfeeding so long. Did your little ones poops ever go back to a "normal" consistency with your restricted diet?

With my eldest son he had a similar issue and I exclusively breastfed for 6 months. His poops improved after I cut dairy and soy (no longer green and no more bloody flecks but still mucusy) but one day I just tested him with aptamil and the poops looked totally normal. So I thought maybe it wasn't cowsilk and something else entirely.

Hi mk8, no my daughters poop has never been 'normal' but she is on quite a bit of medication for GORD and has been since 8 weeks. I had to cut all dairy, soya, gluten, fish and lentils from my diet before her poop became what is normal for her. Was pure liquid pre-diet changes and then green mucus until I cut soya and gluten. Fish and lentils caused breathing problems but didn't seem to affect her tummy. We've since discovered a pea allergy but she did not seem to be affected by my eating them.

I took the approach of monitoring what I ate and how she was and eliminated likely suspects to see if there was improvement. I know some people who found it better to use a total elimination diet and then add foods back in and watch for reaction.

Label reading is a bit of a pain isn't it? Worth it though, and you soon build a selection of 'safe' foods. It sounds like it maybe worth considering eliminating soya after you've given eliminating the milk and egg a chance. I found soya hard, I'm vegetarian so it was a big part of my diet. We can no longer have it in the house as dd is anaphylactic to it :dohh:

Hey

Ive no experience with regards to breastfeeding but DD2 who is now 15 months has cows milk protein allergy. She's only recently been diagnosed after several attempts at trying to wean her onto cows milk. Although she had reflux as a baby I never noticed any obvious signs of an allergy. She was also on formula. Which most CMPA babies react to?. GP thinks cows milk is just too much for her tummy.

Lil mole has given you lots of useful information. Im still getting used to it all myself. Ive also had to stop soya as a drink as she seemed to react to it but is ok with small amounts such as yogurts.

The label reading is definitely the worst to start off with all the different names . Bit of a minefield!

My DD has never done a proper poop its mainly a mustard colour and sloppyish.

We are waiting for a hospital and dietitian appointment. Hopefully they will shed more light on what's going on.

Its hard work . Hats of to you both for breastfeeding and restricting your diets!

If your looking for extra online support theres a support group on Facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->