Mobile phone for 8 year old?

MrsL15

Reaction score
My son will be 8 in December and is desperate for a mobile phone. All of his friends have one, mostly iPhone 5s'. I was reluctant to give him a phone but his dad thinks it might be okay for him to get one for Christmas this year...

What do you all think? What age did/would your child get a phone?

And for those that have got them, do you think pay as you go is better, or am I better with a contract? I've looked at prices and the contract seems cheaper overall at the moment for an iPhone 5s!

My son has been asking for an iphone since he was about 7 lol, we always thought he was a little too young, plus none of his friends had phones (well apart from on who is a lot older). He is 10 this October and we have given in and said he can have one for his birthday.
I think getting a phone depends on the child, some are mature enough at a young age and some not, my son always had an ipod so I never understood why he wanted a phone (as I said none of his friends had a phone and they just skyped each other).
If you think he is mature enough and will understand the responsibility of having one then why not? But make sure you have it insured, kids drop stuff! lol

My 2 are getting one.... eldest will be 10 and youngest close to 9. They too have been desperate for one, it's more because I haven't a clue what else to get them :lol: I'm hmmm over it though as my OHs 11 year old lost his 6 months after getting one for Christmas.

Currently they have ipods and share the account, think I'd like to separate that and also they have friends on whatsapp which you can't get on the ipod!

There will be strict rules though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"