Most desirable places in the world to be a woman

O

Ozzieshunni

https://news.nationalpost.com/2012/...place-in-the-world-ranked-from-first-to-last/

The UK is number 11! Number one? Norway! Go figure :)

Ill tell you what, I found that all very eye opening, especially the amount of developed countries who have a low contraception use rate...

Interesting piece.
I wish there was more info on how they obtained the stats.
I'm not surprised that Canada is where it is, but I am slightly surprised that our income ratio to men is still way down at 65. I thought we were closing that gap.

You know what though, I make more than my hubby, we have equal educations (although I think he is smarter than me), but I would be a SAHM in a heartbeat, and value that more than anything, which would drive our income levels down...but for me, if they took that into consideration, that would be great. It's always about money though...

Apparently pretty good here which I would tend to agree with, especially as mothers as you get to easily be a SAHM for the first few years and then easy to have a career for the later years when the kids are in school.

I totally agree, Natsku. I spent a year of university in Sweden and remember being blown away by the daghemma system and the amount of support and choice that women had. I remember thinking to myself as a 19-year old that if I had been Swedish that an unpanned pregnancy would not be viewed as such a disaster to my dreams/ambitions/ability to earn/etc. That I would have had a lot of choices and support, not just a ticket to the poverty train, you know?
This was back before we had the mat leave that we do, too. One of my friends had gotten pregnant at 19 and was facing several years on welfare. She accessed a bunch of social programs that helped her out, but it was very stressful for her for several years. And this was someone in college, trying to get the education that would give her opportunities, etc.

And I know you are in Finland, not Sweden, but the Scandinavian countries all rank very high for a reason, you know? It's a good model.

Yeah its a very good model. Maria was unplanned and even though I'm stuck on welfare now I know that I will improve my situation and that will be greatly helped by the fact that daycare is affordable here, I don't have to pay anything to finish my studies and get supported along the way. Not a lot of countries have it so good.

I'm amazed that NZ is second on the list. Not because I don't feel that we have it good here, but more amazed that other countries don't have it better.

We are very fortunate to have great cheap/free sexual health, free education and interest free student loans (for all), and gender equality in spades especially when it comes to employment. I'm a 30 year old woman and I earn the same if not more than my male peers.

It really puts it into perspective seeing how poorly women are treated in some other countries.

I see why women like the Scandinavian model, but can I admit that I kind of dislike it? I'm actually not looking forward to moving to Denmark because of the way contraception is pushed, that women are almost socially forced into working (it is actually a condition of me getting permanent residency), that people already judge that DF have a "traditional" relationship, and that chivalry seems to be dead. I almost cried last time I was there until a lovely Russian guy came over to help me lift my suitcase. I also really dislike that you are forced to wait until LO is at least 6 months old before sending them to daycare - it creates problems around me getting a master's degree and having children.

I don't know, I had a child at 21 in America without being anywhere near done with my BS degree (I actually switched from engineering to math/finance after she was born) and there was lots of social support. We got free formula from the government and free healthcare. My university was completely free and I got a stipend to live on.

Of course you can have your opinion! And it's probably a lot more valid than mine as you are actually living it, as opposed to me reminiscing about my impressions from 15 years ago! :)
I also think it is great to hear a positive story from the USA about your described situation. I think we mostly hear about the tiny "mat leave" and a system that often leaves young mums in dire straits, so it is awesome to hear that someone had a good experience.
I sure hope you find that Denmark suits you and your family in the end. I was only there for a couple of weeks' visit, but I loved it! I know travelling through is a lot different from living there, but wishing you all the best! :)

I see why women like the Scandinavian model, but can I admit that I kind of dislike it? I'm actually not looking forward to moving to Denmark because of the way contraception is pushed, that women are almost socially forced into working (it is actually a condition of me getting permanent residency), that people already judge that DF have a "traditional" relationship, and that chivalry seems to be dead. I almost cried last time I was there until a lovely Russian guy came over to help me lift my suitcase. I also really dislike that you are forced to wait until LO is at least 6 months old before sending them to daycare - it creates problems around me getting a master's degree and having children.

I don't know, I had a child at 21 in America without being anywhere near done with my BS degree (I actually switched from engineering to math/finance after she was born) and there was lots of social support. We got free formula from the government and free healthcare. My university was completely free and I got a stipend to live on.

You got those as a single mom. A woman would have thousands of dollars of student loans and no help with healthcare whatsoever. I'm not saying single moms don't deserve help, but I went through college low income but not low enough for grants, only loans that I will be paying on into my old age and I watched single moms around me get huge sums of money to help with school, live, eat and have health care. I was completely uninsured for YEARS in my 20's but had I had a child out of wedlock I would have been give all sorts of things.

You got those as a single mom. A woman would have thousands of dollars of student loans and no help with healthcare whatsoever. I'm not saying single moms don't deserve help, but I went through college low income but not low enough for grants, only loans that I will be paying on into my old age and I watched single moms around me get huge sums of money to help with school, live, eat and have health care. I was completely uninsured for YEARS in my 20's but had I had a child out of wedlock I would have been give all sorts of things.

Actually my child was born IN wedlock, we just ended up getting divorced. They actually gave me more hassle on getting the same financial aid once I got divorced. I also got the medicaid and a fully paid for c-section by medical school professors at Yale, qualifying when I was married.

I was uninsured for about a year when I got married before they passed the newest healthcare law. I think Kentucky has much lower income levels for medicaid than my state, Connecticut.

im actually surprised that Australia came in over the other nordic countries- the social welfare in those countries is amazing.

the social welfare in sweden is amazing, we will have more money after the baby is born by a long way and i will have at least a year of work (my oh will have 3 months) all paid.

there is very little choice tho, i think that is just the general culture here, i cant have a water birth and a home birth is very much discouraged, I will be back at work when the baby is 18 months, that isnt really optional it is allmost unheard of for women to be stay at home mums. also if i ever slit up with me oh he will get 50% of time with the child so i could never leave sweden.

its a very very safe place, i have never felt intimidated here in the same way i have in the uk but people will not stand up for you on the train when you are pregnant never mind hold doors for you..

id say that the general culture around women is important for example on paper australia looks great but when i lived there for a year me and my female friends would often get rude comments/overly sexual passes just because we are girls.

I'm pleased New Zeaqland is second, but I disagree on the "20 years of school". Since when does anyone stay in highschool until age 20? Certainly isn't normal from what I know. Are they counting other tertiary education options into that?

I think they do, minties :) It says "school" but nothing specifically about level of schooling :)

That doesn't really make much sense then, as I am sure university and/or other higher education services are available just as readily in the other developed countries?

Well, here in Canada it differs from province to province, but generally after grade 12 (usually completed at age 18), your "free" ride is over. While highly subsidized, all college and university programs charge tuition. I think this is pretty close to most other school systems int eh Commonwealth, at least?
So if you have some program(s) that allows for a couple of years of free schooling at either end of the K-12 curriculum, that might be what's bumping it to 20 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->