moving onto other foods

ryder

Mum to Jasmine & Peyton
Reaction score
I have been reading that quite a few people with babies barely a month older then Jasmine have alot of things...

Im afraid of her choking and i've just started doing mashed things... She has had toast and rusks... but that is pretty much it...

They dont recommend alot of finger foods until 7-8 months here either... but im just surprised at the type of things I see people feeding their LO's on here.

i was scared giving katie toast cos she had an incident with a bit of pear, but the ladies on here persuaded me to just give it a go! and we were fine!

i'm kinda of the opinio that they've got to learn some how, so i let her eat anything she wants really, within reason!

i think its just a case of trying things and letting her have a munch - katie's had asparagus and everything!!

I think choking is a big worry for mum's understandably. I think if you try to give things that arent 'dry' they are easier to deal with. I think toast and rusks are more likely to get stuck than say banana or something soft like aubergine/egg plant. :D

Brooke is a lot younger so we're still mastering the art of rusks :lol:

i would just try what you feel comfortable with, i find going with mine and maddi's pace was the best for us :)

Phoebe took really well to finger foods, she just loves food and takes it out of your hand, where as my nephew a few weeks younger is still on single blended foods so i think like the other say think its just what both you are comfortable with.

What kinds of foods do you mean?

I think it's just trail and error. Some babies are good with purees, some are good with finger foods.

Hannah's always done really well with finger foods, better than she does with purees really. I'm pretty flexible and give her a lot of different options, if I find something that I think may to difficult for her to eat at one stage I wait a bit to reintroduce it

I just looking for ideas and when people gave certain things.

really anything that you can give in soft chunks can be mashed to a consistency you feel comfortable with until she gets a little older

you pretty much know what all Hannah eats so I won't repeat the list. I did try a 2 potato mash recently which she really liked you might try (1 white potato, 1 sweet potato, and a cup of steamed broccoli) Cooked the potatoes together, steamed the broccoli separate, mashed the potatoes and than added the broccoli (cut into small chunks)--but you could easily mash the broccoli in as well. Hannah really liked it

Jasmine didn't start having finger food until she was about 9months old, we just started with toast then worked our way through foods, carrot sticks, apple slices etc

Im probably one of the mums you are talking about - i give maley loads of things but im always there with my little finger ready to scoop anything out. Maley chews her food - even though she has no teeth) but i figure she has to learn sometime. She has toast and will bite a big bit and if its too big i will scoop it out and she will have to start again. I watch her constantly so i know when has a big bit in her mouth. She has a lot of foods that disintigrate with saliva like rusks, watermelon etc so im ok about those. She has lumps in her food now but they arent big enough for her to choke on.

Its all about what you and your baby and comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->