mri scan

ablaze

lucky mum of one of each!
Reaction score
a couple of you have read/been told i need to go for an mri scan regarding:

https://www.babyandbump.com/your-health-wellbeing/20284-boobs-update-page-5-a.html

im so nervous! how scary is it?? i know its claustrophobic(sp) but does it take long etc etc...

:(

Aww hunny, I missed all this and had no idea.:hugs:

I had an MRI a few months ago for a suspected slipped disc in my neck. I won't lie to you - it's not a pleasant experience. But it's not that awful either. You get ear-plugs, and you need them - it's soooo loud! There is a lot of banging. Mine took about 20 minutes. It was in stages - 7 minutes for this bit, 5 minutes for that, etc. Each stages banging was different. There is a speaker inside the scanner, and the nurse/doctor talks you through each stage so you know what's happeining.

Best to keep your eyes shut hun cause it is pretty claustrophobic.

Like I said, not a pleasant experience, but it doesn't last that long.:hugs:

i had one for the bottom of my back. i think there ok got some big wopping head phones lol to block out the sound i found the worst bit having to keep still for so long! didnt mind though because im getting £11,000 for my back injury... when i finally get it lol x

Hi there. Its hard to say how long it will take as it depends on what area of your body they are looking at, how many pictures the doctor needs and the amount of detail required. I've had several full body MRI's when i was a child which took about an hour but I had cancer at the time. This week though i had a brain one and it only took 5minutes! So it really depends hun. They arent very pleasant cus it is clausterphobic but its not terryfying..i find it is for a young child mind. Best just to close your eyes i find. You just lay on a couch and then you slide inside the scanner..when i was a kid i thought it was like being inside a giant washing machine, only without being slushed around lol. Thats the only way i can describe it! But honestly there not that bad. Try not to worry though hun, it will soon be over. HUGS XXX

well its a brain one, so hopefully wont take too long! thanx guys

i just remember the room being very cold and i was just thinking i wanted a coat. it was years ago when i had to get a scan on my head though, but i thought it was fine, sort of cool like you're an astronaut or something (maybe because i was around 10...my imagination was a bit wild) hehe

I had one for my leg. Took about an hour. You can't wear any metal at all in the room and it's loud! If you take a CD they sometimes play it to you if you're nice ;) it's just loud and boring tbh

My great niece has to get these every 4 months (she had a spinal tumor a year and a half ago) and I think it takes about an hour on her. She's very young though and they have to put her under sedation so it might be quicker for you.

When is this Yvanne :hugs:

Hypnorm hope your ok? *hugs*

still no date through wobbs :hissy: damn nhs for ya!

I have had numerous mri scans as I had a non cancerous brain tumour that couldnt be removed as it was in a position that was more dangerous going in and removing than leaving it and just taking meds (touch wood Ive been ok since being preg doc reckoned the hormones helped me recover ?? just hope now ive had it her it doesnt come back!!!)

everyone i had was differnrt tho as it depends on which part they are looking at and what they are trying to find :dohh:

big hugs, hope everything goes well yvanne and hypnorm xx:hugs:

:hugs: I had one of these on my brain a few years back and it was my endochronoligist that referred me. I was having headaches and pains behind my eyes. It turned out I had an overactive thyroid gland and it was causing a pressure in my eye.

The scan itself was very quick 5-10 minutes and you just had to be very still and as it was a brain one you dont have to go very far in so its not too claustrophobic.

Hope you get a date soon..xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->