Mum dresses boy up as Shades of Grey character

Dezireey

Reaction score
Erm....... this is very odd

https://news.sky.com/story/1439820/pupil-in-fifty-shades-outfit-gets-book-day-ban

What kind of mother does this and she is a teacher! I thought the whole idea of world book day with the kids was to dress up as a character from a book they had read? So she has let him read fifty shades of grey?

Totally agree with the school on this one.

I agree with school. I know I read somewhere he choose it but its beyond me why parents thought appropriate. He obviously hasn't read book. Who cares if its advertised everywhere, so is other sexulised images, it doesn't mean you allow your child to dress up as it. World book day is to foster a love of books. Not a fan of the books as I refuse to read something so poorly written (only had to read first 3 pages after friend recommended to realise that the writer was not good) but apart from that I would never want my child dressed up portraying that kind of character, from what I've heard sounds more abusive than romantic

I don't think the character in the book is abusive, but that's just my opinion. I've read all 3, they were okay. :)

As for the boy dressing up as Christian Grey? Highly inappropriate. Although to be fair, I don't understand the whole "World Book Day" thing, as it isn't actually taken part of here in North America (that I've seen). I had never heard of it until being on here and meeting people from across the pond. :flower:

So is it to be a children's book or just any book you've read?

I don't think it's appropriate but I don't think the fact that he hasn't read the books is a fair argument. There are so many photos online with WBD costumes and they include three year olds dressed as hobbits, Harry Potter (doubt they've read it, even if they've seen the films), a seven year old as Aragorn for LOTR, and loads of characters that are definitely from films and not books.

Also, I work in a school and I know lots of twelve year old boys who would think dressing up as Mr Grey would be hilarious and clever of them, even though they haven't read the books, and some parents may just let them go with it and make their own minor decisions at that age. Getting children to dress up at high school age is asking a lot anyway, so many kids won't do it unless they think it's going to be funny/clever/make them look good.

I think excluding him was a bit much. It's a character from a book, he didn't break any rules.

I don't think the character in the book is abusive, but that's just my opinion. I've read all 3, they were okay. :)

As for the boy dressing up as Christian Grey? Highly inappropriate. Although to be fair, I don't understand the whole "World Book Day" thing, as it isn't actually taken part of here in North America (that I've seen). I had never heard of it until being on here and meeting people from across the pond. :flower:

So is it to be a children's book or just any book you've read?
To be honest I said abusive from what heard so can't comment as could not read the poor writing. Every school I have worked in children dress up as favorite character and then children discuss the books. I'm sure a lot of 11 year olds would think its clever and funny but for me as an adult I think you need to help children to make right choices for the situation. It wasn't appriate for school just as it would not have been right for one of the girls to dress up as a sexulized character and to be honest goes completely against what world book day is about and that's encouraging children to develop love of books

I think the problem with this one and the problem I have is that it is a book about a LOT of sex,it's pure,highly erotic fiction. I think as a Mother, in today's current climate where paedophiles are in the news every five minutes,you should not actively encourage your own 11 year old to dress up as a primarily 'sexual' character. I mean, how many other brilliant,age appropriate books are out there for him to have read and utilised as inspiration? The mother claims James Bond is just as controversial but is James Bond a sado masochist? Are the James Bond movies just all about sex,stalking and bondage?

Book day asks children to dress up as their favourite character from their favourite book that they have read. So this implies he admires the male character??I mean,really, has he read fifty shades of grey? I am sorry to be gross here but there is a scene in the book where he yanks a bloody tampon out of her and has sex with her! That is some of the content of it! I have not read it but have read about details of it on the internet because of the film. If he has read the book,that mother is so twisted. It's so wrong on all levels.

I think the problem with this one and the problem I have is that it is a book about a LOT of sex,it's pure,highly erotic fiction. I think as a Mother, in today's current climate where paedophiles are in the news every five minutes,you should not actively encourage your own 11 year old to dress up as a primarily 'sexual' character. I mean, how many other brilliant,age appropriate books are out there for him to have read and utilised as inspiration? The mother claims James Bond is just as controversial but is James Bond a sado masochist? Are the James Bond movies just all about sex,stalking and bondage?

Book day asks children to dress up as their favourite character from their favourite book that they have read. So this implies he admires the male character??I mean,really, has he read fifty shades of grey? I am sorry to be gross here but there is a scene in the book where he yanks a bloody tampon out of her and has sex with her! That is some of the content of it! I have not read it but have read about details of it on the internet because of the film. If he has read the book,that mother is so twisted. It's so wrong on all levels.

Totally agree especially when there are so many wonderful books outs there to inspire children's imaginations

IMO it's a bit wrong but I don't agree with the huge amount of fuss being made about it either. All that's done is draw loads of attention and make it a bigger issue.

Oh I agree that it was inappropriate that he dressed up like Christian Grey!

Thank you for clarifying, if it was just any character from any book then still inappropriate. But understandable I guess if his mom thought it was ok.

But if it's supposed to be about a book you've read, or a fave character from a book you've read that's quite off. The theme of the 50 Shades of grey isn't for a kiddo of his age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->