Mummy or Mum?

Abblebubba

WTT Sept '15 - #2
Reaction score
I am wondering when does the transition between Mummy and Mum happen?
My DS hears me call my Mother "Mum" or "Mumma"
but he seems very confused when he heard a little boy call their Mother
"Mum" his reply to the boy was "Why is she not your Mummy?"

So i am guessing that im staying "Mummy" for awhile yet!
(Im secretly glad because Mum sounds soooo grown up)

Anyone else?

:flower:

No clue- my LO still doesn't say Mommy. She calls me Mum :) Even if I say "mommy"- she'll repeat mum mum or mom. haha- I would think when they are bigger kids- they might naturally transition away from "mommy" as that does seem a more little kid thing to do. It's so cute! I love anything my LO calls me though :) My oldest made up her own "nick name" for me since, although I'm her full time parent (Mom)- I'm not her bio-mom, it was just easier that way when she did spend the off time with her bio-mom.

My 6 year old calls me mum and doesn't show any signs of stopping. He will refer to friends mums as 'mum' but currently he accepts that he calls us mummy and daddy.
My sisters youngest daughter is 11 and still calls her mummy but her 15yo calls her mum.

My son started calling me "mum" at 5 years old, although he still uses both. I felt really upset the first few times I heard it!

I've never really been called 'Mummy,' it's generally just been 'Mam.'

I'm 'mum' to my nearly 4 year old most of the time. I'd say she stopped saying 'mummy' around the time she started nursery (a couple of months after she turned 3) although I don't think that was the reason as the nursery teachers say 'mummy' and so do a lot of the other kids. My youngest generally calls me 'mum' now too, she has just turned 2. When either child is upset, they slip back to 'mummy' but it's not their usual choice.

My dd called me 'mummy' til about 5 when she started French K. Then she called me 'mumma' - and no matter how much I persisted, it stuck. She is 17 and still calls me that, sometimes with an accent, other times without.

Both muuuummmmmyyy when he wants something and then if he's telling me something it's a sharp 'mum'

I said mummy and daddy until teenage years (only to them though - I referred to them as mum and dad with friends thanks to teasing). Alice flits between calling me mummy and mum now. I'm hoping to be mummy for a while yet!

I'm mumma which I love :D He's never called me mummy and he's not called me Mum yet, although that might change when he starts school in 2 weeks, eek :shock:

xx

None of mine call me Mum, even my 12 year old boy still calls me mummy! I have told him a few times that he should try Mum now and he just doesn't so I've let it go

Charlie goes between Mummy and Muuuuuuuuuuuum! I do prefer Mummy though and was secretly slightly upset the first time he said Mum! We also went through a stage of him just calling me Rosie, so I suppose Mum is better than that :haha:

Josh flits between mummy and mum. Been the odd mama and mammy too. Cheekily called me Helen once or twice too!! :haha:

I stopped calling my mom mommy when I was about 15, I always say daddy though

I'm Mammy. Or Mam, if she's shouting in me.

My 35 year old DF still calls his mother 'Mammy'. But I think that's quite an Irish thing as his siblings and cousins all do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->