"must read" baby books?

ashybug

Pregnant with #1!
Reaction score
I haven't read a single baby book yet... oops.
I thought I'd get by without, but I'm realizing I pretty much know nothing.

What baby books do you recommend?

I'd like a few on breastfeeding, baby sleep/routine, etc.

I have a couple, but I find all the stuff you can find online anyhow, or on this forum :haha: I know I had a lot of breastfeeding questions that the ladies in the breast feeding section really helped me out with :thumbup:

i think the stuff i get here online is so much better then a book..honestly the books use to scare me to death making me think i was a bad mom cause nothing is text book...lol but real mommies going through the same thing helps me out so much...

i wasnt on here but was on another mommy board and it was my savior..

(cheers guys) :)

Babies don't read books :haha:

Seriously ... I'd concentrate on getting to know your baby. Rather than reading lots of books spend time figuring out local resources you can access, lactation consults, support groups, mum & baby classes, first aid class etc

The only books I would really consider are babycalm and dr sears the baby book.

Dr sear was pretty good but agree every baby is different...just getting to know your baby is the best thing to help out and always there is this place with tons of mom willing to help a hand :)

I got a book for my Christmas 2 years ago when I was expecting DS, its called 'Your Baby Week by Week' and its a wee guide for the first 6 months. It's fab because its not a 'Your baby must do this, if not something is wrong!' book, it gives rough guides on how long baby should be sleeping each day/night, how many wet/dirty nappies to be expected a day roughly, roughly how many oz formula or it gives advice on breastfeeding too. Each week has a 'when to see a doctor' and 'whats happening with mum' section, it gives you help and advice on interacting/playing with baby, bathing, swaddling, room temp v clothes, then goes on to weaning towards the end weeks, it's just packed full and I absolutely loved it, definitely worth investing in! :D

i love love love the baby whisperer. I have all three of her books, and I still refer to them on a daily basis (more the toddler one now for DD).

I found she was sensible, no gimmicks, and a real advocate of doing what was right for you and your family. It was also all about listening to the baby you have and adapting your parenting to better suit their personalities.

SO that's worth a read if you are looking for something to flick through.

x

I still haven't read any books and I'm on baby #3.

I second The Baby Whisperer recommendation!

Alpha Parent gives a good run down of what books not to read. https://www.thealphaparent.com/2013/03/anti-breastfeeding-books-part-three.html Link to part 3 as it contains links to parts one and two.

AP isn't everyones cup of tea..... but you can get a good idea from the articles of what to expect in the books.

Here's another vote for the Baby Whisperer :) Pretty easy reading, and the emphasis on knowing your baby really hit home for me. I was definitely in the camp that was clueless that newborns had distinct personalities, so figuring that out ahead of time was a godsend. I read most of the book post partum though, and that was just fine.

For reference material, it is nice to have something on hand to look up milestones, development, childhood illnesses and the like. The internet has pretty much all that information, but I find it is a bit overwhelming and time consuming, not to mention fear-inducing depending on how you phrase your google query! So I like to have something on hand that I can look at before calling the pediatrician or braving the internets. I have What to Expect the First Year, and it has a pretty nice appendix at the back with childhood illlnesses that I used quite a bit with my 2nd and 3rd; oddly not so much with #1! If you hated that series (I personally enjoyed them), just poke around for something that makes sense :)

with milestone and what not, i found out evey baby does it in there own time and own way...when you read a book about it or when i did, it worried me to bits..

one of my kids walked at 8-9 months another walked at 14 months both fine..
one talked at 8-9 months one didnt talk to three..

yes autism runs in my family but my ped said this is normal and each child does what they need in there own time...also depends on what they are keen on trying at the time..so lots say at 12 months walk..your baby maybe to busy working on something else and that is perfectly normal :)

justhoping is right of course! For me the best milestone books and references were the ones that really stressed the uniqueness of each child, and very specifically outlined circumstances that would be worth checking up on. I think it also helped that I had read the baby whisperer first, that put me in the right frame of mind.

I got a book for my Christmas 2 years ago when I was expecting DS, its called 'Your Baby Week by Week' and its a wee guide for the first 6 months. It's fab because its not a 'Your baby must do this, if not something is wrong!' book, it gives rough guides on how long baby should be sleeping each day/night, how many wet/dirty nappies to be expected a day roughly, roughly how many oz formula or it gives advice on breastfeeding too. Each week has a 'when to see a doctor' and 'whats happening with mum' section, it gives you help and advice on interacting/playing with baby, bathing, swaddling, room temp v clothes, then goes on to weaning towards the end weeks, it's just packed full and I absolutely loved it, definitely worth investing in! :D

We had that one with Callum, it was fab, definitely helped in the very early days xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->