My babies recovering from RSV/Bronchilitis

MummyIwanabe

Twin Mummy!
Reaction score
Never heard of the damn virus until 2 weeks ago my poor little bubbas got the RSV virus. It put my son back on cpap and talk of ventilation I thought I was going to loose him then my poor little lady was admitted with breathing difficulties :(
thought we had left all that behind at scbu :(

With no treatment its an awful virus and I must admit I was totally unaware of it. Premmies are more vulnerable to it and it was a bit shock for us. My son literally got a cold on the sat night and by sunday was struggling to breath big time.

We are home recovering now :)

Keep your eyes peeled mummies, don't want to alarm anyone just want to create awareness as seriously I had never heard of it.

xxx

Yes, we were told that our daughter would need an RSV vaccination every month until April

We weren't told that...We've never been offered the jab...should we have been?

my little girl was 5 weeks early for days now shes been really snuffily and sounds like a pig. what are the signs of rsv?

My son got a cold then stopped feeding, breathing really quickly and very laboured, chesty/wheezy and dry cough + no wet nappies.

I've posted this link too https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bronchiolitis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

If you're concerned then see your GP.

The RSV jag is only offered on a certain basis sometimes, and differs in areas.

I know one of the reasons we weren't given it was because Alex didn't come home with oxygen yet she still had chronic lung disease? It's an odd one! We were offered a flu jag though

I am in the States and was told by my pediatrician that starting in Nov she would need the RSV shot until april. One of my friends who also has a preemie was told the same thing by her dr.

sounds like the UK don't offer it. I would have gladly paid for it if it were an option. we haven't been offered the flu jab either. Think i'll be asking about this too xx

Will was 9 weeks early and was offered the jab. The jab doesn't stop the baby from catching the virus but it lessens the effects. I think the jab is very expensive so it is only offered to some, wrong but true.

The RSV virus is the same virus that causes the common cold, it just depends how it manifests. Bronchialitus (sp?) is common in children under two and most get well on their own at home with out needing to see a doctor. Only 5% of baby's that get it need hospital treatment and out of that 5% most of them are prem. Again most of the baby's that need hospital treatment only need a few days on cpap to help maintain there oxygen levels. If I can remember correctly the symptoms peek at day 5-6 and lessen by day 10.

Niamh had it in Febuary and spent 4 days in hospital on cpap and has beeen fine since.

We've been getting the jab since October until next spring - our neonatal unit sent me out an invite. Don't know what their criteria is though, LO was 25 weeker and CLD. No sign of a flu jab for us though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->