My baby, Gracie has arrived - 29/11/08

Freya

Toddler and baby
Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't been online for a while, but wanted to pop back and tell my birth stroy, as I used to enjoy reading the birth announcements and as I was getting closer to my due date I needed to hear about what labour was really like! :baby:

My birth plan was a follows: Birth centre, water birth, minimum intervention or drugs - as had done hypnobirthing classes.

My waters broke in the early hours of my due date, having gone to birth centre to see if I had dilated, I hadn't. Advised to keep active in the hope labour would begin. I was warned that I only had 24 hours to go into labour naturally if I could still attend to birth centre.

Kept super active all day - no labour, some niggles began but nothing else, still had trickling waters. I had a good nights sleep. Then my contractions began at 10 am, it took a couple of hours for them to get into a pattern, but then they were regular. I used the hypnobirthing techniques I had been taught and (this will sound odd), it was a lovely time at home, me on the birthing ball, my partner soothing and helping to relax..... I stayed at home as long as possible and went to the birth centre at 9pm. Sadly, I was found to be running a temperature, which indicated I may have had an infection -possible a coincidence, or possible to do with my waters breaking early. So, had to go to hospital :cry: but didn't want to put bub at risk.

Admittedly I was starting to feel a little unwell - like I was coming down with a cold, but pretended I was ok. Dosed me with paracetomol to bring down temp. :blush:

I had dilated to 7cm at the hospital, but was struggling to go further. However, I have had procedures on my cervix previously and had been told that due to the scar tissue, dilation may be unpredictable. I wanted a bath to relax me, they made me a loveley clary sage and lavender bath. Whilst relaxing I heard and felt an almost rip-like sensation, not painful, but my god my contractions stepped up astoundingly. I had gone from 7 - 10cm in seconds and my body's own natural pain relieving endorphins couldn't catch up quick enough so I went on gas and air - which became my new best friend!!! I also had a peth shot - which I regretted as the pushing stage wasn't far following (wish i'd have known).

Pushing my baby out was tiring, but not painful I had no idea that contractions were the most uncomfortable part!!! Annoyingly the hospital wanted me on the bed, whcih I feel lengthened the time pushing, but because I needed a iv drip for anti biotics, it made a kind of sense.

I had an episiotomy to help me push her out in the end, but didn't feel a thing, nor was being stitched up afterwards.

Gracie Patricia Day arrived safely, 7lb 2oz :happydance: She's gorgeous. :cloud9: I spent one night in hospital, but transferred asap to the birth centre for 2 nights post natal care as I really wanted lots of help to breastfeed.

All in all, I feel I know much more now and would definitely not have had peth shot as I wanted to be more focused and it made me woozy, but at the time I didn't know how close I was to pushing stage and the midwifes are probably jab-happy, or maybe didn't know how close I was either!. :rofl:

Next time, if I could, I would have a home birth, use hypnobirthing techniques again (cant big it up enough) water pool and gas and air for the transistion stage.
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->