My baby wants to suck on me 24 7

Hoping4peanut

Reaction score
My baby will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and we are ebf. She just wants to suck on me 24 7 even when not hungry. She just needs me to soothe to sleep. She gets furious when she doesn't get my boob. Very inconsolable. Nothing else works.

The breastfeeding experts at the hospital I delivered at...a baby friendly hospital...say to feed on demand right now.

But what if I am over feeding just to get the screaming to end. And she always wants to be held too.

I am scared of spoiling her but is 3 weeks too early for discipline? I don't want her to feel her needs aren't being met.

At 3 weeks she's having a growth spurt so the comfort feeding is to boost your supply. Just feed and hold your baby - you are all she knows, don't worry about spoiling her - you can't spoil a baby. Enjoy the cuddles.

At 3 weeks she's having a growth spurt so the comfort feeding is to boost your supply. Just feed and hold your baby - you are all she knows, don't worry about spoiling her - you can't spoil a baby. Enjoy the cuddles.

I second this.

Its completely normal for them to behave like this in the first few weeks and even more so during growth spurts. But honestly it doesn't last. Wesley was on me 24/7 at first but at 5 weeks he started going an hour between feeds and by 8 weeks he was going 3 hours between feeds.

My advice would be to just park your bum in front of the TV and be lazy for a couple of weeks, its a great excuse to not do any housework for the first few weeks! :winkwink: maybe practice feeding lying down too do that you can sleep while you feed, it was (and still is at night) an absolute life saver for me :thumbup:

I second practicing while lying down or lying back in a reclining chair/couch seat. Its the only way I breast feed right now unless we are out and about. Sitting up and holding an 11# baby hurts my back! ;)

And you cant spoil or discipline any baby under a year old, so relax :) And if you're EBF you cant overfeed.

Definitely can't spoil a newborn; that is totally normal behaviour. The sucking helps bring in more milk for her expanding needs. She's also so very new and the world is scary, being held and nursing makes her feel safe. Just go with it. :)

I agree with the users above. There's no way you can spoil a newborn with too much love or comfort. There is a theory called the 4th Trimester that shows newborns are in desperate need of close contact and comfort from Mom.
You're doing the right thing by giving her what she needs when she needs it :thumbup:.

Here's a great article to check out: https://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby-sleep/why-do-babies-wake-up-when-you-try-to-put-them-down#.U8clas9OWM8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->