My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
Did anyone watch this last night?

What did you think to it? :coffee:

I work at whittlebury hall a 4 star hotel and spa .. and last year it was struggling to make profit so one of the sales girls booked a gypsy wedding.

OH - MY - GOD.

Nothing can prepare you for it.. there where little 6/7 year old girls in fluro pink tutu's and bikini tops with bottles of stella running around .. the boys shouting ''im gonna raaaepe ya'' in there gypsy irish accent to any female staff member (dont think they really meant it though) .. the bride and groom where cousins - her carridge had bubbles coming out of it and her dress was bright pink with sparkles and the diameter of about half a swimming pool lol.

There was a massive family feud going on and they refused to get rooms in the hotel so set up site in our carpark. We had to get security in and it was just total chaos .. the hotel was destroyed by the time they eventually left.

I work at whittlebury hall a 4 star hotel and spa .. and last year it was struggling to make profit so one of the sales girls booked a gypsy wedding.

OH - MY - GOD.

Nothing can prepare you for it.. there where little 6/7 year old girls in fluro pink tutu's and bikini tops with bottles of stella running around .. the boys shouting ''im gonna raaaepe ya'' in there gypsy irish accent to any female staff member (dont think they really meant it though) .. the bride and groom where cousins - her carridge had bubbles coming out of it and her dress was bright pink with sparkles and the diameter of about half a swimming pool lol.

There was a massive family feud going on and they refused to get rooms in the hotel so set up site in our carpark. We had to get security in and it was just total chaos .. the hotel was destroyed by the time they eventually left.

:rofl: I would hate to have been the one to tidy up after that!!

I didnt see it,but everyone seems to be talking about it.was it any good?what channel was it on?

i think the dresses wer beautifukl but just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to biggg. when that girl got STUCK!!! i really do wnder how much the dresses cost though.

also there morals are good, no sex before marraige/not likving with oh etc

also i didnt no there was anything real like gypsie travelers :haha: thought it was something that died out in the 70's what world am i living in aye

i watched it, i really enjoyed it! thought it was funny :lol:

those dresses tho! i know that shop they all get there dresses from in liverpool, its a tiny little shop so dont know where they must keep all those dresses they are HUGE!!!

as for the kids dresses, well im sorry but they were horrid :wacko: all the frills and gaudy colours! and those dresses the girls where wearing at the wedding on the dance floor!

i thought it was very intresting dressed where lovely but huge and when teh dress maker said abouut scaring the hips OMG!!

and i guess the reason they dress like that on teh dance floor is to attract a hubby since there not allowed out like that other than applebury and wedding.

I think this show might of *if they watched it* changed a view peoples views on traverlers now like when that guy said call me what you want but dont ever call me a "pikey" or a "dirty gypo".

But i think the girls are brought up very well with not being aloowed to go party no drinking no smoking no sex ect because if you do it brings shame on your family, and there very close on the sites.

The bit i disliked like was the "dont marry a country girl" bit harsh after all the lad might find a country girl who wouldnt mind living in a caravan with him :shrug:

I would love to no how much the weddings cost looks like well over £20,000 to be honest with the dress and reception lol

I thought it was quite interesting.. Didn't think much to little outfits after hearing them ramble on about "morals".. Thought that was a bit odd.

LOVED the dresses.. Personally wouldn't go for anything that big though.. Reminded me a little bit of the toilet roll holder my nan used to have :haha:

I think the colours were good though.. In that respect it's no different to an Indian wedding with all the bright colours instead of traditional white.. So yeah loving the colours.... Didn't think much to the way the blokes can pick a girl and that's that... I did feel a bit sorry for that girl who's venue got cancelled though

oooooh I missed it, I might have to try and get it on 4OD or something as I wanted to see it!

I really enjoyed

I think the dresses were a bit to big though, to the point where one of the girls got stuck

I felt sorry for that girl that had the recpetion venue cancel a week before the wedding
xx

I watched it.
It must cost a fortune though, and i did feel it unfair that her venue was cancelled just because they were travellers.
It opened my eyes to them as well tbh. I never knew they were so religious and traditional. And so strict with their morals with their children.

I think it was great to get the travellers point of view, my mum's irish and goes mad if anyone calls her a pikey or a tinker (she's not a traveller). Also the dresses were mad, so OTT, but if thats what they want. Personally I think they were too young too, I would be upset if Alex wanted to get married so young, but I woul support her.

The priest at the end is my nan's parish priest.

I thought the dresses were hideous, i almost liked the one girls fitted dress with the butterflies until she insisted on a 15ft train :rofl:

I umm'd and ahhh'd about it, some stuff said on the documentary wasnt accurate, the dressmaker saying that gypsies never talk about money is a bit of a lie, most do talk about money, and quite often

Also them saying they wouldnt marry a "country girl" bugged me too, i know lots that do and have done, so really its more preference of their families and not gypsies as a culture.

Overall i thought it was a good insight into the gypsy lifestyle,

Oh my god! The outfits! But like PP said it was a good insight into the gypsy lifestyle and was very interesting x

i think the dresses were bloody horrid. made me LOL when the girl was saying how tacky some dresses were and hers was prob the worse :wacko: with the butterflys and the 20ft train!
Also don't really like the way they treat their daughters.. they're VERY old fashioned.. i don't think its a healthy way to live TBH.

I actually really liked the butterfly dress, bar the train. Some of the bridesmaid dresses and flower girls/young girls were 'interesting' though..

I LOVE traveller weddings!! :blush: theyre so over the top and fabulous! ever since i was little ive wanted a wedding like theirs! :cloud9: I dont agree with the confirmations though, like its lovely that they put so much effort into making it a special day but the things the kids wear are so insanely innapropriate not only for their age but also the occasion! theyre always on the newspaper here, it got so bad a few years ago between competing families they had to ban horsedrawn carridges from the confirmations because there was so many!!

OH - MY - GOD.

LOL i worked at a Hilton, and thats EXACTLY what happened. Another gypsy wedding

It was horrific and scary. They stayed for about almost a week. Paid everything in cash. Had massive 4x4s in the car park

The kids were pure evil, I am not kidding you!

the hotel was a total state.

They all checked in and paid on arrival for their room in cash. Once they were all in their room we had a huge influx of people calling and asking for extra beds and cots.

I went into one of the rooms and they had ordered so many extra beds you couldnt walk in the room. They sneaked in so many children into the hotel.

The cleaners could not keep up with the mess, food was everywhere on the carpets in the hotel.

The police surrounded the hotel on the last night and I couldnt go home until it was safe :O

In the morning they checked out and we had hired security guards to protect us. Staff had left within a week.

Horrific.

On the other hand I have a gypsy friend whos geting married in a few months.....interesting.

I thought it was very touching at points. Not at all the way I would bring my children up, but a lot was very consistant with other religion led cultures, and it just seemed different, not necessarily wrong. I didn't think it was inconsistant to dress to show the body, I don't find anything immoral about their dress, and they obviously don't suscribe to the daft adage of girls 'asking for it' because of how they dress. I assume the dislike of marrying country girls is much the same as in other cultural groups who worry that spouses brought up in a different culture will lack the shared values and cultural understanding of their way of life and therefore the couple might be more likely to cause marital problems/family problems. I have visited travellers with the district nurses and have been treated with the utmost respect and hospitality.
I suppose like any other community/culture there will be good, bad and in between and watching one tv programme won't give anyone the full picture. I felt very sorry for the girl whose venue was cancelled, it's unfair to tar all ethic groups with the same brush. Her wedding reception seemed very much like any other.
Someone mentioned confirmations, and although these tend to be very reserved here, first Holy communions became very OTT a few years ago. I have no idea whether this was due to the traveller communities around the corner from me, or just general competition between parents, but one local priest actually made the communicants make their communion in school uniform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->