My chances of it happening again???

M

mummyvikki

Ive had premature babies

DS born 9weeks early in 2008 - spontaneous onset of labour

DD born 8 weeks early in 2011 - PROM,Meconium,reduced foetal movement

I'm doing alot of research for a the next time we TTC it wont be for a long while but i want all the information i can get
In all hindsight i have more chance of having a premmie again dont i lol

Any advice would be appreciated xx

So you've had two preemies - but theres no definate reason that linked both of them hun!

My 27 weeker was a spontanious one, and almost 2 years later we had a overdue little girl with the help of consultants and the OPPTIMUM trial, which you might want to look into. A lot of hospital are offering this trial now so it might be worth researching!

I had the opptimum trial with DD this year i offered to have it and it didnt show nothing but still ended up having her early,both my labour's start with very mild bleeding and mucus plug...DS was 4days before i had him and DD was 3weeks before i had her..I managed to get steroids with them both but i just feel so empty when i comes toTTC again as i dont want the heart ache of both my children being left with others OR my newborn premmies being left at hospital..It broke my heart this year to leave my son and daughter without me at times :(
xx

I think the actual % risk of it happening again is only something your consultant can answer, but they themselves will have different opinions I bet. No-one knows what triggers labour to start with a full term baby or otherwise so determining the risk of another spontaneous labour is difficult to judge I think but obviously delivering due to other complications can be quantified more easily. Presumably if you had an infection, risk low next time, if you had a bash and an abruption risk low, if you have PE or IC the risk is huge but these things can be managed.

In my case, I was given a risk of 10-15% of another spontaneous labour as the research shows that cases where there is no obvious cause and the usual issues have been ruled out (IC, infection, abruption etc) you have good odds of going to term. I took these odds with a "glass half full" attitude and decided it was low and good enough to accept and was massively confident that I would go to term, or even past 30 weeks. I decided not to do any trials and I'm happy to discuss why but don't want anyone to feel I'm judging in anyway at all. I have allowed both my babies to do clinical trials so I'm not against trials and it will be interesting to see what the results of all the trials are.

My second labour felt to me like it started exactly the same as my first but was complicated by the baby disengaging when my waters broke and moving transversely, and I also had a massive placental abruption so ended up in theatre knocked out for an emergency cs. I'm interested to know what the consultant has to say about that - he may feel that the abruption was brewing before and triggered labour, but I don't think that was the case.

I can't have another baby as I've had incisions that mean I would most likely have uterine rupture if I went into labour again (don't much fancy that!) but if I could I might do a trial as I'm pretty much convinced myself I am unfortunately in that 10-15% that will just go into labour at 28 weeks or thereabouts - the trials really need people like us to have 3 or more babies to really test it out! So I will leave that up to you guys!! xx

Can i ask what incisions are hun???

Thanks for your reply,Im not sure what my consultant though bout when i started bleeding at 28weeks with DD 2011 i was given bexamethesone twice in each leg and again at 31weeks,Im pretty sure my consultant must of known my baby wasnt going to go much further then my previous pregnancy had.
I was 2 given twice weekly foetal monitoring and scans to check babies progress.
Im not quite sure what my whole question is that im asking lol just maybe looking for something i wont ever have the answers 2..mother nature will always take its course.

Thanks again xx

sorry hun an incision is just the medical term for cuts - as well as the usual horizontal ones to do a section I also had them at angles to give enough space to get the baby out due to his silly position xx
After my first I was really really wanting to know why he came early - I had all sorts of things in my head - was it stress, had I worked too much, did I have an incompetent cervix.....and what I know now is second time round my cervix is not incompetent, I wasn't stressed, I worked very part-time and same thing happened ......so I still have no idea why it happens to me!!! I do know it is very rare though.
Whatever the reason is may not be known until someone figures it out years down the line, there must be some hormonal or physical reason that I can't get past 28 weeks but I can live with the not knowing why as I'm still here, I didn't bleed to death, my first boy is nuts but no residual issues and my second boy is lucky to be alive and doing really well so I can't complain! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->