my hypnobirthing and home birth story

rose_ginger

Reaction score
Well, I had my baby on the 14 september! Birth story below, (cross posted in the hypno home birth thread):

as some background, I had done the mongan course, but I didn't get on with the CD, so I had been listening to the natal CD's on the run up to the birth. I had a trouble free pregnancy apart from being slightly anaemic throughout. I gave birth at 40weeks+6 days.

I gave birth on monday the 14th September to baby Nathan, weighing 7lb 7.5 oz. I had him at home as planned. My waters broke at 11.30 on sunday night. I told my husband who rolled over, said "ok honey" and went back to sleep! :) Contractions (sorry, surges) started about half an hour later and were about every 10 minutes and quite strong. I did my breathing and tried to stay relaxed and tried to sleep. I managed to doze between surges, but did wake up each time I had one.

By 7 am they were getting more intense and about every 4 minutes so I woke hubbie up and he attached my Tens machine to me. We called the hospital and they said they would sent a midwife at 8.30 when they started the shift. I carried on doing my breathing and used the tens machine during the surges to take my mind off things. Unfortunately the CD player had packed up the day before so I couldn't put the CD on!

By 8.30 I was bleeding quite heavily and I started to get quite panicky that something was wrong, so we called the hospital again. The midwife arrived about 9.15 and examined me. I had a male midwife which I thought might be wierd, but by that point I didn't really care! He wasn't sure whether to transfer me to hospital, but after examining me it turned out I was already 6cm dilated, and I was probably losing blood as I had dilated so quickly, so they decided I was ok to stay at home, which I was really happy about.

Things progressed very quickly from there. The surges got very strong. My breathing wasn't helping as much by now so I used the gas and air also. I didn't find it made the surges less painful, but it did make me nicely spaced out between them. The midwife called for a second midwife for the delivery, but by the time she arrived I was almost there, so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go in the birth pool as they need 2 midwives present for a water birth. Poor hubbie had spent ages blowing it up and getting the right temperature!

The baby was born around 11am. I definitely felt him moving down without the need to push, but they asked me to push for the last few contractions as his heartbeat was dropping. He came out and screamed for about 30 minutes!

All in all, it definitely wasn't as bad as I though it would be! It all happened very quickly from start to finish, and I do think a lot of that is due to staying calm at the beginning and the hypnobreathing techniques. I won't lie and say I didn't feel the contractions towards the end, and I did make a quite a bit of noise when he was coming out, but most of the time I was quiet, and able to talk between surges all the way to the end, and I didn't get exhausted from lots and lots of pushing. Having hubbie sat with me the whole time helped me feel calm and relaxed too. I stayed in bed for the whole thing. I did get up briefly as I though I should be more active, but I found I couldn't concentrate on my relaxation techniques and it made the sensations more intense, so I got back in!

Having it at home was great also. it was nice being in my own surroundings, in my own bed, and I would recommend it to anyone! It was my first baby, and I defininitely plan to have the rest at home as long as there are no complications!

Congratulations! You have made me want a home birth now when i finally get pregnant! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->