My lo refusing home made purees.

kerry m

mummy of 2
Reaction score
My lo has been weaned from 18 weeks taking her solids fine ive been giving her home made puree avocado,sweet pot etc.since end of last week she as refused to eat, taking her milk feeds fine thought to myself don't stress as she teething and put it down to that, until today i had some spare Ellas organic pouches and tried her with one and she loved it couldn't give to her quick enough.so im now thinking she doesnt want my home made purees and thinking of going down the organic baby jars/pouches route feel apprehensive has our last visit to the pediatrician said to give her home made foods.
Do i just go along with her and give her whats she happy with? Has anyone gone down the jar route feeding their prem baby? i feel like she will not be getting the goodness from the jars arrghhh weaning is so stressful!!!

Hi there

I started Andrew on home-made purees - I had a whole range of icecubes in the freezer, fruits, vegetables, meats, and would make my own blends. He would always eat them, and very much disliked the St.1 jars of food.

Stocks ran low recently and, because SAHD is now taking care of Andrew, it was easier to switch Andrew onto shop food full-time. He gags on St.2 jars (there's a whoooooole thread about that) but he absolutely adores St.2 Ella's Kitchen & Plum pouches, so we have kept him on those. He has about half-a-pouch per mealtime.

Hi Marleysgirl Thank u your reply.ive just read your thead in the weaning section and Sienna as done the same never thrown up but just gagged on her meals so in thinking its do do with that i can never quite get it the the same consistency as the pouches.I'm wondering if its a premi thing? MY son had no problems he was full term.She happy with the pouches and for now will give them to her,and like your self il be back to work soon so it will be easier for her daddy, for now anyway.

We used a mixture of the two. We had started her on the pouches to get her used to the tastes then started pureeing our own. Fruit was fine but the veggies always seemed to have too much texture for her, even if they were fully pureed. They still had "bits" in them.

The other thing about the EK pouches is they are very very sweet and so smooth and watery they are so easy to eat. We started mixing half a pouch with our own veggies and that helped. Also try adding plenty fluid to your purees so they match the EK stuff. And add fruit to the veggies. Carrots and Apples was always a favourite. In fact adding apple to anything meant Abby would eat it! For a time there she would only eat pudding and that was how we got her used to the more textured feeding.

The other thing to try is a lentil soup. It purees up really well - Annabel Karmel does some great receipes.

Our consultant was also disparaging about jars and she is right, they do contain fewer vitamins and goodness etc. And, although you might think organic is the way to go, you should be aware that organic baby food actually contains fewer vitamins and minerals than non-organic. The reason for this is that mass processing, cooking and storing these obviously takes a lot out of the food, and being organic they can't do anything about that. The non-organic companies are allowed to fortify their foods with stuff to replace that which is lost in the processing.

I wouldn't like to rely on jars, not only because of the lack of nutrients but also the cost. At a £1ish a pouch, it is an expensive way to feed a bairn!

i never thought of adding the pouches with home made purees i will give that a try.
i do agree that the EK pouches are easy to eat i think if i get the purees to the right consistency she will be fine.If i can help it i don't really want to give her jar foods there so much range of yummy foods i can make her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->