My mother hung up on me...

Boozlebub

Reaction score
Was talking to my mum earlier and she was telling me what she had picked up yesterday for the kids for Xmas. She mentioned she bought some dinosaur Lego so I asked her what one. Same one I’ve got stashed away for DS from Santa as it is one of the only things he has asked for. I asked her not to give it to him as i have one for him from Santa. She started to get cross telling me I can’t tell her what she can and cannot give them. She then hung up.

If it wasn’t from Santa and the one thing he is going to go crazy for I wouldn’t of minded as much. But I am so looking forward to seeing his face on Xmas morning when he opens it. I told him he couldnt have it a few weeks ago when he saw it in the magazine because it’s for 7 years old up but he’s great at building Lego and I begrudge spending hundreds on the Jurassic world Lego he has also been asking for on eBay.

Was I wrong to ask her not to?

No you wasn't. Their most special gift should come from you/Santa. I would hate it if my children opened what we gave them the were jumping around eagerly waiting for somebody else to turn up with the good stuff :(

I would have asked my mum not to give it to him as well but I guess it depends on family relations etc. My mum typically doesn’t buy stuff without checking first so she would have known it was a risk buying something without asking about it.

I guess she’s just disappointed as she thought it would be a great present for him. Hopefully it doesn’t become anything too big

Thanks both of you for making me feel less of a monster! She just text an apology. I guess I probably overreacted a touch and could have dealt with it better. We have a touchy relationship anyway and often come to blows.

I'm glad she apologised. I would have done the same. If it was anything else I wouldn't mind and would return or regift the item but for the one thing they've been begging for I would totally do what you did.
For what it's worth my mum and I don't have a great relationship either so I always feel awkward telling her not to get certain things.

Oh don't worry I've already fallen out big time with my sister over my main present for my nephew! Christmas/families can be like that I think haha. Glad your mum apologised, hanging up isn't cool! :dohh:

Nope you weren't wrong. The santa gifts are specific and the most special.

My mother doesn't do Christmas shopping for the Grandchildren anymore as there is just too many and she can't afford it now. When it was just my 2 and my nephew it was a different story. But she has 9 grandchildren (#10 is Jan), a solo income and she just can't do it. My MIL on the other hand, as much as I despise her, we always make sure that we give her the Christmas list so she doesn't do anything as a double.

Glad you sorted it but def not wrong regardless if it was Santas or yours <3

Thanks all! All has been forgotten and hopefully won’t happen again. Gave her some different ideas so hopefully nothing gets duplicated!

That's great news. Glad it's been sorted out now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->