My son has asthma :-(

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
I'm gutted for him! We thought we had bronchiolitis again but when he wasn't improving with the inhaler we got him up and noticed he was struggling to breath and going blue. We rushed him up to hospital, got him oxygen then started his usual treatment. He spent 2 days in hospital getting nebulisers, oxygen, steroids and now diagnosed with Asthma.

Although they can "grow out of it" the doctor has said just to keep in mind he will probably have it for life. With his dad having it, him having severe eczema and the amount of episodes he's had despite treatment he will probably be one that doesn't get rid of it.

i hate holding him down to give him his inhalers 8 times a day, I hate forcing him to take tablets, I hate hearing him puff away when he's trying to play. It's not fair on him :-(

So sorry at least you have a diagnosis so you can get the correct treatment.

Aw I'm sorry. If it makes you feel better, I had very severe asthma as a kid (was hospitalized probably 3-4 times per year, plus many more trips to the doctor, plus lots and lots of treatments) and by the time I was in junior high I didn't need my inhaler anymore. I still technically have asthma but it's very mild and one of my biggest triggers (cats) can be controlled by over the counter anti-histamines now. My ILs have two cats and I spend a week at a time there sometimes, when I was a kid I wouldn't have lasted an hour without my inhaler and two hours would've required treatment at the doctor's office. So just because it's bad now doesn't mean it'll necessarily always be bad. :hugs:

It also did suck at times as a kid but I think it upset my mom more than it upset me. Kids are resilient. I can totally understand why you're sad for him but I think he'll still have a very happy childhood. :)

So sorry to hear this :hugs: My brother and my DH both grew out of their asthma even though it was quite severe when they were younger. Hoping it's similar for your LO :hugs:

That must have been scary for you! Sorry for the disappointing diagnosis. I had severe asthma as a child (multiple daily inhalers, several hospitalizations) but completely outgrew it in adulthood. I even ended up average height - according to my charts and taking into account the steroids doctors told my parents I'd never clear five feet, but I'm five four. Much love, I'm sure he'll do great no matter what. <3

Thank you everyone! Sorry for being a bit of a moan.

Its just so scary seeing him that way. Im a nurse, so have dealt with emergency situations but its so different with your own children. Broke my heart watching him lie there struggling to breath. Its been 4 admissions in 2 months so was worrying me like mad. Consultant wants him reviewed in a months time to ensure he is coping with the medication well. He was so good with him which helped so thats a positive.

Thanks for all your input, has helped settled my worry a little. I hope he can out grow it but it my job to keep him as healthy as possible regardless. There's worse things he could have so should be grateful he has something that can be managed x

:hugs: My DS has asthma, he's been on inhalers since he was 6 months old. He was constantly poorly when he was little but as he adjusted to the medication and got a bit bigger it really improved and we learnt what his triggers were and how to avoid big flare ups. He's much better now at 5.5 years old, he is able to run around like all his friends, he uses his inhalers without fuss and needs steroids much less often :hugs:

I'm so sorry!
My almost 5 year old has it and was in and out of hospitals from young age. He first got inhalers at 6 months! I hated having to hold him down and basically restrain him jus to give inhaler but the older he got the easier it got.

He still has plenty of time to outgrow. My LO always gets worse during winter and when he catches colds x

my 33 year old brother had severe asthma - he had a breathing machine at home and had to have treatments every night along with inhalers, etc. he grew out of it!

That's reassuring! Thank you. air just worry that he's going to be like my husband. He's on multiple things for this asthma but I hope my little guy can grow out of it xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->