My son has just told me he hears voices..

lily24

Reaction score
I'm shocked to say the least but eager to know if this could all just be part of growing up or something more serious.
He's 5 years old
He just came out with 'mum, sometimes I hear things in my brain. Things from movies like Toy Story..' Very random and my heart sank. He was very serious and annoyed that these things were coming into his head. He said he didn't want them there.
I maybe got to intense questioning him but he didn't want to speak about it anymore and wouldn't say what exactly he hears.

Could this all the part of growing up? Imagination etc? I'm speaking to HV tomorrow...:cry:

TBH- it sounds like he's just having thoughts and calls them voices. He prob has a very good imagination- which, can be great, but hard at times when you think of things you don't want to- I was like this as a kid (and an adult). I have a hard time still getting things out of my head that aren't wanted- almost like seeing a car accident... you don't WANT to look, but you feel you must! If that makes any sense. As a kid- I was very imaginative... and would play make believe all alone in my house talking outloud to my toys or just to myself. LOL. I don't see anything wrong with that... He's 5, so when he talks to himself (in his head) he may not know exaclty how to articulate that.

If it's bothering him- like he's having thoughts that he doesn't like, then just be there to listen. Make sure he knows he can tell you anything- that no matter what you'll be there to just listen or give snuggles. Can't hurt to chat with the HV too though. Just my two cents- and I'm no expert! I just play one on BNB ;)

Try not to worry hun-- :hugs:

TBH- it sounds like he's just having thoughts and calls them voices. He prob has a very good imagination- which, can be great, but hard at times when you think of things you don't want to- I was like this as a kid (and an adult). I have a hard time still getting things out of my head that aren't wanted- almost like seeing a car accident... you don't WANT to look, but you feel you must! If that makes any sense. As a kid- I was very imaginative... and would play make believe all alone in my house talking outloud to my toys or just to myself. LOL. I don't see anything wrong with that... He's 5, so when he talks to himself (in his head) he may not know exaclty how to articulate that.

If it's bothering him- like he's having thoughts that he doesn't like, then just be there to listen. Make sure he knows he can tell you anything- that no matter what you'll be there to just listen or give snuggles. Can't hurt to chat with the HV too though. Just my two cents- and I'm no expert! I just play one on BNB ;)

Try not to worry hun-- :hugs:

Well said, I completely agree! :thumbup:

I dont know. It could be serious but then could be his imagination. My little brother started hearing voices and he's 10...it was fine but then the voices got violent and.he had to be taken to a therapist and then a hospital for 5 months.

Does he believe the voices to be real? I would see the doctor to rule anything out, but the fact he knows they are in his head, I would assume its just something he has noticed.

The fact that he said they annoy him and he doesn't want them there is the part that would concern me . We all have our own sort of inner monologue even children and they wouldn't find their own thoughts normally to be strange or annoying .

I would assume it's his great imagination.

I had one as a child. It started when I was three, I had imaginary friends, and I basically told my mom bed time stories every night of my imaginary friend activities for that day. As I got older... My imagination got scarier. I would see things in the dark, "ghost", and to this day I can vividly remember them. I didn't like it at all... I would see things all the way up until I turned 13... Then I just refused to keep my eyes open at night. To this day I refuse to look into the dark and let my mind run because I'm sure I could end up making myself see things that aren't really there. I like to think it's an imagination and many people have a vivid imagination as he grows he will learn to over come it.

Or like others have said, it's his thoughts and/or memories.

maybe he hears ear ringing. I have musical tinnitus that is common in some deaf people (tinnitus mostly)... they often sound like singing.

they are often become a musical background for my dreams which is sometimes kinda nice.

Its probably just his inner voice, its a good thing as not having an inner voice (such as what you hear when reading in your head) has strongly been linked to dyslexia and other learning conditions

if he objects it could be his conscience maybe he feels guilty for something

Its probably just his inner voice, its a good thing as not having an inner voice (such as what you hear when reading in your head) has strongly been linked to dyslexia and other learning conditions

My daughter is dyslexic and I have studied the issue to the 9's as well as sought professional guidance for the last several years.

It has nothing to do with not having an internal dialogue.

My daughter is dyslexic and I have studied the issue to the 9's as well as sought professional guidance for the last several years.

It has nothing to do with not having an internal dialogue.

not all dyslexics the milder the less of a problem but maybe you want to look into that area some more as there is much research in it at the moment proving it occurs as damage to the internal monologue (linear thinking pattern)

cant be bothered to dig though for offical papers as im just on in my break but heres a link to get you started with the names of some scientist and associations you can research

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1263307/Do-hear-voice-head-read-If--dyslexic.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->